Auto siphon help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Are there and gizmos out there that can hold my auto siphon on the fermenting buchet so that when i'm racking my beer, I don't have to sit there and hold it the whole time.

I'm getting lazy

I never hold mine. Why would you need to hold it?

To keep the tip above the trub. They have the little bucket clamps for racking canes, it would be nice if they made one for autosiphons too.

When siphoning from a carboy, I generally sanitize a piece of aluminum foil, crumple it into a loose ball, and wedge it in the mouth of the carboy. I push the autosiphon down until it starts to pick up trub, lift it up until it's clear again, then wedge the foil into place.

Can't help with a bucket, I suppose the clamps afj mentioned are as good a solution as any.

I just use a piece of wood and tilt the carboy, gently insert autosiphon and let it rip; I don't hold it. It picks up a little yeast at the beginning and end of the siphon, but if you let that settle out in the bottling bucket for about 10 minutes, it's not an issue.

Personally, I open the lid only about 1/2 way open, then push the autosiphon in until it hits the other side of the bucket. the angle will be pretty shallow as the lid is pushing down on the siphone. I start the siphon, then I keep on pushing, sliding the tip of the siphon down the opposite side of the bucket. when I hit the yeast, I see it pull through the siphon tube and I pull it back a bit. once you're at that level, you'll pull our all but about 2-3 oz of beer without getting more than 1/2 oz or so of trub.

for a carboy you're much better off with a carboy cap, a racking cane and a co2 bicycle tire inflator (or co2 from you're keg setup if that's convenient) Push the racking cane down the middle opening of the cap about 1/2 way. Use a 2-3" length of 3/8 ID tubing to connect the bike tire valve (the bigger kind, can't remember if that's presta or schrader) to the side opening of the cap. push the button on the co2 and it'll pump the beer through the racking cane. You're siphon's started and you can adjust the depth of the racking cane as nessecary.

My auto siphon came with a little black cap that goes on the end. It rests on the sediment, and the beer goes through an opening at the top of the cap. Sure, you lose about 1" of beer this way, but I just pour that into a glass through a coffee filter and have a taste of my creation. Mmm, good.

Are there and gizmos out there that can hold my auto siphon on the fermenting buchet so that when i'm racking my beer, I don't have to sit there and hold it the whole time.

I'm getting lazy

If you are really lazy, then drill a hole and put in a spigot. That's what I use and it makes for very lazy racking. :cross:

Back