Orange Blossom Honey Wheat opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldesign

Reaction score
I've brewed this extract/partial twice. excellent if you like this type of beer. wife loves it with a slice of lemon by the pool on a hot summer day. I enjoy it as well recipe as is BUT how would the flavor change if I didn't use the marris otter and the crystal 10? I'm not sure if it would make much difference just trying to KISS in life? also will or does the honey malt convert itself/flaked rye by itself or do either even need to be mashed?

thanks in advance

Orange Blossom Honey Wheat
1.053 OG
1.011 FG estimate with honey
30ish IBU depending on boil size
5.5% ABV

1# marris otter
.5# flaked rye
.5# crystal 10L
.25# honey malt
2# DME wheat start of boil
3# LME wheat end of boil
1# orange blossom honey (flame out for 15 minutes)

1oz perle 7.4% (60 minutes)
.5oz hallertauer 4.2% (10 minutes)
.5oz hallertauer 4.2% (flame out)

US-56 dry yeast

I don't think the Honey Malt will convert on its own or convert the Rye. The Rye won't convert on its own either, I don't believe.

I would keep the MO in order to convert these two if you want to keep them.

how would the flavor change if I didn't use the marris otter and the crystal 10? . . . . . . . also will or does the honey malt convert itself/flaked rye by itself or do either even need to be mashed?

Marris Otter will give a flavor similar to biscuit, but with 1# it might not be missed. If you steep for long enough the MO will convert the honey malt and rye that both must be mashed. If you and SWMBO liked it, I wouldn't mess with the recipe. Those are enough changes to make a difference.

Latest posts

Back