Carboy As Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
There seems to be differing opinions as to whether to use a 5 gallon carboy with a blow-off tube to carry away "bitter resins & fusel oils" which is the stated advantage. Possible loss of a some of the brew is given as the downside of the 5 gallon which isn't the problem of the 6 1/2 gallon.

This seems to be a quanity vs quality issue. If so, I will go with the quality, esp since I have two 5 gallon glass carboys.

Any opinions, additional information or comments will be welcome.

I can only wonder about "bitter resins & fusel oils", since I've had exactly one blowoff. Also, since people talk about fusel oils, when they are actually fusel alcohols that can be produced at any time during the ferment, not just at the beginning.

Blowoff tubes are merely there to reduce the mess.

Does that mean you use a 5 gallon jug for primary? Is that your preference? I guess I really didn't understand what you are trying to tell me - yeah, I know - I'm a little dense. :(

I only own 5gal carboys. This makes it easier since they all can be primaries or secondaries depending on what I need. I also don't have to worry about stopper different stopper sizes. And they are cheaper. There is debate on the actual benefit of having the kraeusen blow off but I don't think that you can loose a significant amount of your brew this way.

Kai

I like the 6.5 gallon carboys. For starters, I can put 5.5 gallons in them so that by the time I keg, I will have a full 5 gallons. I have never understood the aversion to 6.5 gallon carboys for secondaries. The whole issue of "oxidation" because of the added head space is really nipping at the 3rd or 4th decimal place. Far more oxidation occurs via poor racking techniques rather than 2 or 3 weeks in a secondary with a gallon or so of head space.

david_42 is correct, the blow-off tubes are only there to reduce the mess. I don't think achieving blow off is the difference between a good beer and a great beer. I get blow off about half the time (in a 6.5 gallon primary) and I don't recall it making a difference on the finished product.

Prosit!

i do as tnlandsailor. i use a 6.5 g carboy for primary, and have never had a blow-off related issue since. i always have plenty of head space for my fermentation and never had any off flavors due to the kraeusen remaining in the carboy.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Seems to be no big deal either way. I guess I will use the 5 gallon since I already have it and worry about something else for a while.:rolleyes:

just pick up a 6.5 g next time your at Austin Homebrew. that's one of those "no fun" buy's, but a good buy.

Budget is busted for a couple of months on beer equip. Fishing Season is upon me so that will take priority. (fishing season started when I was 6 years old and will end when I am 98 years old)

I ferment in 6.5 carboys, and Ive had some killer blow offs, depending on the yeast I use. I use the blow off set up every time when I set up my initial fermenter, and use it for about 3-4 days. No off flavors, or any other problems. I secondary is 5 gallon carboys, and for me, this set up works great.

Back