Adding hot wort to cold water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
After reading the thread on full wort boils and how most people are not doing a full boil for extract brews, I was reminded of a method in "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" in which they added the hot wort directly into chilled water in the primary fermentor. Just wondering if anybody does or has done this method before? My main concern would be in oxygenating the hot wort, or does the cold water cool it quickly enough to not make this an issure? Any information about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is similar to the method I've used for years.

I use PUR filtered tap water for my brews. I place 4 - 1 gal water containers in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.

I boil 1.5 gals of water with my malts, etc.

I place a nylon strainer/net over my primary. Pour 1-2 gal of the water from the freezer into the primary. Pour the wort through the net. Sparge the hops, remove net. Stir in the remaining water until I top off to 5.25 - 5.5 gals. Let sit for 5 mins. Stir again. Remove a sample using a wine thief and place it in the plastic tube and take a temp and gravity reading. The temp is usually just around 70F every time. Some times closer to 60F, but almost never over 80F. (Temp really depends on how long the water was in the freezer and if it was just cold or close to freezing).

Drink sample.:D

So I guess the aeration is done by the wort splashing as its poured? Does your beer stay pretty clear? Are you using a plastic primary? Also a shout out from close to your stomping grounds, im in La Salle, IL.

That's about all I do as well... boil up whatever I'm boiling, and throw it into the primary on top of 3 or 4 liters of cold water. I get sexy aeration by using the spray nozzle on my sink (sanitized). Have not had any stalls or contamination using this method.

Back