Suggestions for IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to brew an IPA here in the next couple weeks, and I picked up some ingredients today. Here's what I got. 2 containers of Briess Golden light LME, 3 pounds of light DME, 1 pound crystal 20L, and two oz each of Centennial, Cascage, Citra, Amarillo, and 1 oz columbus. I think I even have 1/2 oz of Falconers flight in the fridge from a prior brew. I have us 05 Safale dry yeast. If I use all my malt, it should hit around 7%ish I think, which is about what I'm going for. I can boil about 2.5 to maybe three gallons in my pot, then I have to top off in the bucket.

My question would be on a hop schedule to get a good citrusy American style IPA. Any ideas on a good recipe with what I have?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You certainly have the hops for citrusy. I would put the backbone of the IBU's down with the Columbus and perhaps Centennial at 60...obviously not using all of them. I'd also add an ounce or two around 30 as IMO hop bursting seems to leave something missing for me...kind of like having a subwoofer (60 min addition) and a tweeter (hop bursting) with no mid-range. For that, whatever your pleasure, Cascade and Amarillo or whatever. Then hop burst in the last 20 minutes with the bulk hop addition. Finally, make sure to dry hop, it really makes an IPA in my opinion. I haven't brewed with Citra so I can't say anything about that.

So, something like this:

30 IBUS at 60 with Centennial and Columbus
20 IBUS at 30 with Cascade and Centennial
20 IBUS with multiple hop additions between 20 down through flameout mixing Cascade, Amarillo, and Citra

When fermentation slows down dry hop with Citra, Amarillo, and Columbus (around 2-3 ounces total)

That, off the top of my head is what I would do.

Another question. Should i substitute a pound of the dme for a pound of corn sugar or will it be better as is? I know the sugar will dry the beer out some, Im not sure if I want that or not

Ok. here's what I came up with. I'm still not sure about using sugar, so I'd still like opinions there, but here's the tentative hop schedule. Any thoughts? Hopville put this thing at 88.5 IBUs. Thats accounting for the partial boil and late extract additions, but who knows. OG should be 1.075 and FG should be 1.020

Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 60 min ½ Columbus ~ pellet 15.4 » 27.4
boil 30 min ½ Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 13.7
boil 15 min ½ Amarillo ~ pellet 7.0 » 6.2
boil 15 min ½ Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 4.9
boil 15 min ½ Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 8.8
boil 15 min 1 Citra ~ pellet 11.0 » 19.4
boil 5 min ½ Amarillo ~ pellet 7.0 » 2.5
boil 5 min ½ Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 1.9
boil 5 min ¼ Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 1.8
boil 5 min ¼ Citra ~ pellet 11.0 » 1.9
post-boil 1 min ½ Amarillo ~ pellet 7.0 » 0.0