Classy Beer Glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm bottling beer instead of kegging, so I can give a bottle or two, to my buds. But when they come over, I'd rather have them pour their beer into a real nice, classy beer glass,,,,and not one of those pint glasses. I like the Stella Artrois type glasses, even those pilsner glasses. Are beer glasses like wine glasses, depends on red or white?

Christmas is around the corner and they are gonna be on my list......what say you?

There's a good article here about the varieties of glassware for specific beer styles. I have 3 or 4 different styles that I serve my beer in, but most of the times it's just the standard shaker pint glass. But I have a very large collection of logo glasses from breweries I've visited over the years, so to me each one is different :D

Lots of options when it comes to nice beer glasses. I have some chalices (like the Stella glasses) that I bought plain at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. Love the Sam Adams designed glasses. I have a straight sided Spaten logo glass I like. Pilsner and German Wheat beer glasses are nice too.

As CH noted, there are styles of glasses that certain styles of beer are traditionally served in, and reasons for doing so. However, I have never noticed a profound difference as far as flavor or aroma between different glassware. Drink it out of whatever you like, or whatever you think it looks/tastes/smells better in. It's your beer and if you are sharing it and you are pouring it, you get to choose what glass it comes in.

Personally, if I were not very educated in beer (oh wait. I'm not), I'd love to receive a style-appropriate glass to go with my beer, along with a short explanation of why this glass is appropriate for the given style. But that's just the nerd in me. . .

Nonic pint glasses are my standard, but I think my new favorite is a brandy snifter. We use them as our standard at our brew club meetings for both tasting and judging. If you have a World Market near you, they have them pretty cheap and in various sizes.

I saw that bed,bath & beyond has sam adam's style glasses. I like the nonick style glasses myself. I also have some pilsner glasses that're wider at the top I like as well.

I have a pilsner, chalice, beer mug, elcheapo stien, and my personal favortie is my english "no nick" glass [i've heard some call it a propeler glass]. I pain a buck each for all but the stien, it was 10 bucks at a german festival, full of beer.

Sam adams has to have the coolest designed pint glasses, I just with they werent branded

Nonic pint glasses are my standard, but I think my new favorite is a brandy snifter. We use them as our standard at our brew club meetings for both tasting and judging. If you have a World Market near you, they have them pretty cheap and in various sizes.

I've got a Boulevard logo-ed glass that is similar in shape to a brandy snifter, but not as wide as the bottom. Its a great glass for beer tasting, really shows off the head and concentrates the aroma.

I've got a Wee Heavy carbing and am anticipating sitting in a comfortable chair on cold winters' nights, sipping it from a snifter. :tank:

I forgot to add that glassware for beer styles is really only indecitive of the regions glass making technology at the time. Tankard chalice or nonic are kind of the standard types. Get chalices if you want to be fancy, nonics if you want a pub feel, and tankards if you want a dive bar feel.
I like nonic [or no nick] glasses for the aorma they hold and ability to give a good head [hehehe].
Some vendors can even custom print what you wat on the glas for 3-4 usd a glass. That may be the route to go if you want something semi-custom-classy. Much better than having a mixed batch of pints from the "you keep the glass"specails from your local pub.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

This show a few of the popular styles and names, I kind of poo-poo on the diferent style glass for different type idea, mainly because I'm cheap and having 30+ glasses and using on dosnt appeal to me

I know places like bed & bath have sets of craft beer glasses - a set of 6 different styles. Kind of a bummer not to have more than 1 of each, but I don't mind too much - I normally drink alone (hey, isn't that one of the first signs of a problem?)

i have a bunch of normal pint glasses, a few decorated hefe or pilsner glasses and about a half dozen of the "Dogfish Head Signature" glasses. I like the shape and thickness of them. I like the Sams glasses but just need an excuse to pick some up.

here is a shot of my go-to

sigglass1.jpg

i had one of these but it "went missing" it was a really cool glass to drink out of because it felt like you were still drinking out of a can

6332555582_8f3e5044f4_z.jpg

If you go to New Belgium's web site you can pick up a pair of their stemmed goblets for less than nine bucks with free shipping. I ordered two sets earlier today.

Here's the las test two I picked up last weekend on our way to see our son at college. The one on the left is from New Glarus Brewery. We did a stop for some sampling and a tour. The one on the right is from our sons college.

image-1911971811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a bunch of normal pint glasses, a few decorated hefe or pilsner glasses and about a half dozen of the "Dogfish Head Signature" glasses. I like the shape and thickness of them. I like the Sams glasses but just need an excuse to pick some up.

here is a shot of my go-to

sigglass1.jpg

i had one of these but it "went missing" it was a really cool glass to drink out of because it felt like you were still drinking out of a can

6332555582_8f3e5044f4_z.jpg

I like the Dogfish glasses,,,now to find them without the logo

ruralbrew said:
If you go to New Belgium's web site you can pick up a pair of their stemmed goblets for less than nine bucks with free shipping. I ordered two sets earlier today.

Or you can get to know your local NB Ranger and get them for free. I bought my first pair of 16oz NB goblets, got the second pair at a tasting(You could argue that I paid for those), and last but not least was the set of four 12oz goblets for free. The New Belgium beer Rangers are cool guys and gals. They always have bottle openers and stickers to hand out, sometimes shirts and hats, and depending on what is going on maybe boxes of glassware.

I have custom made pint glasses my wife got me for a gift. They are engraved with the name I gave my homebrewery. They are very cool.

I have a set of cut glass Pilsners, very curved, tall, narrow and elegant, with heavy and sylishly curved bases (no pedestals). They have nestled many a wonderful brew. I only hope that I can brew a beer worthy of display in vessels such as these. We'll find out in a few weeks, and, if so, pics will come. :)

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that different shapes result in different experiences. Not sure how much of that is chemically provable, as opposed to mental bias, but hey... it's a great excuse to collect glassware, if that's your thing!

I rather enjoy collecting stuff in general, and I have a sort of goal with respect to beer glasses to get at least six of each major style, in pairs, from various breweries. It's a pretty small collection right now, consisting of two Irish Imperial glasses from each of Deschutes and Widmer Bros., four tulip glasses (two from Elysian and two that are actually marked Tripel Karmeliet), and two mason jars from Lagunitas.

Probably a net loser if you compare dollars spent to drinking experience gained, but hey, it's kinda fun. And you can kind of tell a difference. Sometimes.

Dollar Tree has some nice glasses.. from the standard pint to some snifter styles.. Yep.. $1 ea Course, the don't have logos on them..

Yup i bought 6 of their pint glasses, they are nice and hefty feeling, not thin glass.

I have a bunch of different glass types, but if you are looking for "CLASSY" I would say the best type to use would be a stemmed tulip. They are good glasses in general, plus they look nice and don't get confused with wine glasses.

tulip_1.jpg

Personally, though, I'd rather drink everything out of either an imperial pint (or similarly a 16oz pub glass) or my Duvel tulip.

A nice chalice and snifter are always good to have around, too. For those days that you find a really nice barleywine or quad laying around :mug:

EDIT: I don't like the 14oz shaker "pint" glasses. First, because they aren't a pint, and second, because they aren't really meant for drinking out of. I still use one here and there, but not my thing. Again, just my 2 cents!

My daughter just came home for the 1st time in 4 months and gave me these pint glasses.... Awesome birthday gift!!

image-1583496034.jpg

The difference in quality of beer glasses that I've seen is some bring the aroma to your nose better. Nice for hoppy beers an several others with a nice aroma to add to your flavor.
Other than that one that holds the cold well ( frosty mug! ) is good and heavy enough to stand up to your friends having a few too many.
The only other thing I would think about is if it's a look you like.
Lots of the beer glasses on that list are traditional to the style of beer. They don't enhance the beer drinking, but they are associated with a style of beer probably because they are from the region and time where the beer originated.

I mostly use plastic solo cups when I've got buddies over. Easy clean up, they don't break the glasses and they don't break anything with the the glass.

Well I've got no issue with plastic cups. It's a cup. I don't care about spending the evening looking at the beer anyway. It tastes great, I get the aroma, no mess, what's the big deal?
If we're going to be drinking a few beers on the patio, no worries about them breaking anything on the concrete.

Homebrew is beer. If you can't enjoy it as a beer, you take yourself to seriously. Relax, have a homebrew.

When it gets to the point of having to feel uptight or like there are special rules as to how you can drink it, it's time to give it up and just buy your beer so that you can relax and enjoy it.

45_70sharps said:
Well I've got no issue with plastic cups. It's a cup. I don't care about spending the evening looking at the beer anyway. It tastes great, I get the aroma, no mess, what's the big deal?
If we're going to be drinking a few beers on the patio, no worries about them breaking anything on the concrete.

Homebrew is beer. If you can't enjoy it as a beer, you take yourself to seriously. Relax, have a homebrew.

When it gets to the point of having to feel uptight or like there are special rules as to how you can drink it, it's time to give it up and just buy your beer so that you can relax and enjoy it.

What if someone enjoys pairing their beer with appropriate glassware? I wouldn't consider that uptight. For many, presentation is part of the experience of drinking beer.

What if someone enjoys pairing their beer with appropriate glassware? I wouldn't consider that uptight. For many, presentation is part of the experience of drinking beer.

Nothing wrong with that. There's a time for everything.

As an example of uptight...

"IMHO, plastic cups should never come in contact with any homebrew. It's showtime,,,Be proud to show off your creation(s)."

I don't even care what someone else does to drink their beer.
Comments that homebrew should never touch plastic cups and needing to show it off, that's uptight.
I've got news..... It's BEER. Drink it and enjoy it.

Well,I just got a nice surprise a couple minutes ago. My son dropped by,& apparently went back to Akron again. He brought me a 4 pack of Thirsty dog's Cerberus,a nice heavy logoed pint glass,& a taster logo glass. Camera batteries are dead,so a pic will have to come later. And I was outta beer too,so this is great.

I found some Samuel Adams glasses for 1$ each at a flea market today and I bought two. Can't say I'm a fan of the Boston Lager but the glasses are nice. Lets see how long they last before they get broken. "Take pride in your beer"

Sorry if comments about plastic cups offend you, this thread was started as I am looking for some classy drinking glasses. If plastic cups are your classy glasses, then prost to you.

Told SWMBO I want the Goldfish Goblets for Xmas

45_70sharps said:
Nothing wrong with that. There's a time for everything.

As an example of uptight...

"IMHO, plastic cups should never come in contact with any homebrew. It's showtime,,,Be proud to show off your creation(s)."

I don't even care what someone else does to drink their beer.
Comments that homebrew should never touch plastic cups and needing to show it off, that's uptight.
I've got news..... It's BEER. Drink it and enjoy it.

I wouldn't call that uptight. It's just an opinion and, in my opinion, a valid one. I make an attempt to produce beer of a certain color. I'd like that to be apparent when it's served. Some home brewers may not care. That's fine. But, it doesn't make someone who does care uptight.

While my girlfriend and I were staying in Rochefort, Belgium back in May, the town had an outdoor flea market at which I purchased a Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA glass for the equivalent of about $3 USD. Score!

But FYI Rochefort is a dirty little town where everyone turns their nose up at you when they hear you speaking English. It's also the location of the worst hangover of my life. Several incredibly fresh Rochefort 10's, no air conditioning anywhere, tap water was nearly undrinkable, and high temps were in the low 90's that next day. Fun.

Back