Input on a rye summer blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
Looking for a typical "summer" ale here, relatively light and easy drinking but also not devoid of flavor. I love rye and was thinking about brewing up something for those hot July/August days where the rye could really shine through. This is what I threw together on Beersmith the other day:

6# pale malt
3# Vienna
1.5# rye malt
1.5# flaked rye
4-8oz Carapils (optional, could talked out of it)
4 oz acid malt (for pH control)
rice hulls

.5 oz Chinook @ fwh
.25 oz Chinook @ 10
.25 oz Chinook at 5

US-05

I love Chinook with rye, but at first I was concerned the Chinook might be a little too strong for "easy summer beer"...then I thought screw it, hops rule :cross:

You guys and gals have any input?

thanks
-Dusty

Looks good to me. Maybe instead of CaraPils I would use some Crystal or CaraRed. Let us know how it turned out. I love the taste of rye malt, but I use it only for Rye IPAs.

how did this come out? I have been tossing around the idea of using some rye in my house blonde ale to give it that crisp spiciness you find in lagers? thoughts? also, i love rye and hops, whats more i love rye and hops together and on top of that i love lots of rye and lots of hops together, so more power to you bro!

Back