Arduino questions (mash temp controller)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer94

Reaction score
I am working on an Arduino based mash temperature controller. I have an Arduino UNO R3, RGB Shield Kit, TMP36 Analog Temp. Sensor, a solid state relay and Bucket Heater.

What I would like to do is have the buttons on the RGB Shield Kit control the mash temperature and mash time. I want to use them to set these parameters and then use the select button to begin the mash. I am not sure how to program the Arduino to take the user input. I can pre-program it to that days desired settings, but I would really like to be able to change it with the buttons on the shield. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will just want to use this library to control the LCD/buttons. There is an example in the examples folder .... but you would basically take the example and replace the button logic with your logic to raise/lower temps.

I was originally trying to do the same thing by using buttons to provide the input, but I decided I didn't want to do the programming for it so I now use potentiometers and the map() function to dial my input times and temp. I just found it much easier than trying to get the buttons to be inputs.

Back