Trying to clone Troegs Flying Mouflan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had this beer for the first time last week and its already one of my all-time favorites. Looking to clone it up. Troegs website is nice enough to list malt and hop varietals used, but no precise measurements or ratios. The beer is a barleywine with 100 IBU's but it is very well balanced and comes across (to me at least) as a wonderful malt showcase with a chocolaty raisin flavor. Has a nice thick velvety head that is a light salmon colored. Also, it won gold in american barleywine at last years GABF.

I am not turbo-experienced at recipe crafting so I would love input.

According to the troegs website (http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/flying_mouflan.aspx):
Alcohol by Volume: 9.3%
Hop Bitterness (IBU's): 100-ish
Color: Dark Mahagony
Malts: Euro Pils, Vienna, Munich, Dark Crystal
Hops: Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe
HopBack Hops: Whole Leaf Nugget, Simcoe
Yeast: Ale
JuJu: Cane Sugar

So I've poked around a bit and gotten some ratios which seem to produce a style appropriate barleywine that matches the ingredients listed.

Batch size 6 Gallons, 6.87 pre-boil, assuming 75% brewhouse efficiency

7 lbs. German 2-row Pilsner
5.25 lbs. Munich Malt (20L)
5.25 lbs. Vienna Malt
1 lb. Crystal 120
1 lb. Cane Sugar
1.5 oz. Warrior Hops (60 min)
1.25 oz. Chinook (30 min)
1.25 oz. Simcoe (20 min)
1.5 oz. Simcoe (Flameout)
1.5 oz. Nugget (Flameout)

Ale yeast (using house strain of WLP001)

Beersmith's calculations (tinseth for hops) for this seems to come up with measurements accurate to the beer's descriptions and alcohol content.
Estimated Measurements:
OG: 1.091
FG: 1.020
Color: 19.7 SRM
IBU: 99
ABV: 9.27%

nickharbour said:
Had this beer for the first time last week and its already one of my all-time favorites. Looking to clone it up. Troegs website is nice enough to list malt and hop varietals used, but no precise measurements or ratios. The beer is a barleywine with 100 IBU's but it is very well balanced and comes across (to me at least) as a wonderful malt showcase with a chocolaty raisin flavor. Has a nice thick velvety head that is a light salmon colored. Also, it won gold in american barleywine at last years GABF.

I am not turbo-experienced at recipe crafting so I would love input.

According to the troegs website (http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/flying_mouflan.aspx):
Alcohol by Volume: 9.3%
Hop Bitterness (IBU's): 100-ish
Color: Dark Mahagony
Malts: Euro Pils, Vienna, Munich, Dark Crystal
Hops: Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe
HopBack Hops: Whole Leaf Nugget, Simcoe
Yeast: Ale
JuJu: Cane Sugar

So I've poked around a bit and gotten some ratios which seem to produce a style appropriate barleywine that matches the ingredients listed.

Batch size 6 Gallons, 6.87 pre-boil, assuming 75% brewhouse efficiency

7 lbs. German 2-row Pilsner
5.25 lbs. Munich Malt (20L)
5.25 lbs. Vienna Malt
1 lb. Crystal 120
1 lb. Cane Sugar
1.5 oz. Warrior Hops (60 min)
1.25 oz. Chinook (30 min)
1.25 oz. Simcoe (20 min)
1.5 oz. Simcoe (Flameout)
1.5 oz. Nugget (Flameout)

Ale yeast (using house strain of WLP001)

Beersmith's calculations (tinseth for hops) for this seems to come up with measurements accurate to the beer's descriptions and alcohol content.
Estimated Measurements:
OG: 1.091
FG: 1.020
Color: 19.7 SRM
IBU: 99
ABV: 9.27%

I'd love to know how this turns out for you. Being from Harrisburg, I'd be very interested in your results!

It was a solid american barley wine (still have a few bottles left), but didn't match troegs exactly. It wasn't as dark the genuine article and missing out on some of the dark crystal type flavors and not as estery. If I do it again I'd dial back the munich and increase the crystal, and maybe add c80 to the mix. I would also switch to fullers yeast instead of chico.

I brewed a version of this on Saturday (21st). About 24 hours later fermentation was going mad. Fermenter was plastic bucket so I didn't have a blow off tube. Had to babysit it for several hours. Burped the lid an put some weights on it so it wouldn't blow. Pulled the airlock several times, cleaned, resanitized and put back in. Still bubbling every couple of seconds. Things are calm now.

I did a partygile with this brew and made a sweet potato ale with the second runnings. No spices, just some honey and lightly hopped.

Barleywine Recipe
8 lb pilsner
6 lb Vienna
5 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Crystal 80

1 lb candied sugar clear boil 60 min
1 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz Chinook 60 min
.5 oz Warrior 60 min
1 oz Chinook 30 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Nugget 0
1 oz Simcoe 0
1 oz Nugget DH 7 days
1 oz Simcoe DH 7 days

4 tsp yeast nutrient 15 min
1 whirfloc tablet 15 min

2 pks Denny's Favorite 50

Sweet Potato Recipe
Approximately 5 gallons of second runnings @ 1.024
3 lbs Sweet Potato (peeled/diced/baked 30-40 min)
Purée with 3/4 lb clover honey and bake until browned/ caramelized
Add to boil at 60 min with .25 lb of clover honey
.5 oz Sterling 60 min
1 oz Mt. Hood 20 min
1 whirfloc tablet 15 min
1 pkg Denny's Favorite 50

I'll report back in a couple of weeks

Cheers!

Back