Question about growing hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Question - I have a back patio that has a awning. The support poles for the awning are about 12 feet high. I was thinking of buying a couple planters and growing the hops up the support poles and along twine at the top

The patio gets TONS of sun so thought about using the hops as a source of shade on the patio thats partly why i want to grow them there.

The awning looks something like this -

22.jpg

My awning is much higher as its on the back our house but it has the same style of poles with the S's in it. My question is about how hops grow and attach themselves. Come fall would they be easy to remove from the poles or would growing them up those poles make them a nightmare to get down? Do they grow with suckers like some styles of ivy or with those curly things like green beans?

They just curl around. You can remove them with a bit of pruning. Get BIG planters though, if you want a good cone yield, and you may want to grow them up a 1/4in green polypropylene rope, as you will have to drop the lines several times throughout the summer.

I grow them about 10ft up, then cut the line down, coil it up, and string a new line for the tip to keep growing up.

I had to do that 4 times last summer.

Back