Hallertau fail!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
Just wanted to get an outside viewpoint, I planted cascade and hallertau this year, and my first year plants couldn't have been more different. Cascade grew slowly but ultimately ended up with about a 10 foot bine and yielded 2 oz. of dried hops, which for the first year is probably about normal.

The hallertau grew a fine 12 or 13 foot bine and looked great, only problem is it never grew a single bud or cone and didn't have any arms on it at all. Did I get a male rhyzome? What happened here?

The same thing happened to me when I first planted my hallertauer and cascade rhizomes, a few years ago.

I did a little research, and the hallertauer are "low yield" plants. It just took longer for them to get established. Even now, when they are huge plants that are trying to overtake my fence/telephone pole, etc, they still yield less than my cascades.

They will be fine once established, though!

Back