Ahhh, now that's good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
Just cracked the first bottle from a batch of English Nut Brown Ale I bottled about a month ago. Nice hops smell and pretty good but still needs a bit more time to cold condition. Several will be sacrificed to my thirst tonight. :D

smorris said:
Just cracked the first bottle from a batch of English Nut Brown Ale I bottled about a month ago. Nice hops smell and pretty good but still needs a bit more time to cold condition. Several will be sacrificed to my thirst tonight. :D

I'm interested in doing a nut brown, but adding some vanilla bean to it at bottling...did you add any nuts, or extracts to your batch, or just rely on the original recipe ingredients for the nut taste?

One more question...if you didn't use any sort of nuts or extracts, how pronounced was the nutty taste? Thanks!!!

I just used the extract, didn't add anything. The nut flavor is subtle but present. If you really want the nut taste to be noticable you need to add some.

"Nut Brown" Ale is just a name for a brown ale. Sam Smith's may have coined it. It doesn't imply actual nuts are added.

I'd be careful adding anything weird like nuts, especially if you're a new brewer. For one, the nuts will have oils that will screw up the head of your beer. For another, it is a common mistake for new brewers to try to make wild beers. EG Blueberry Walnut cinnamon brown ale. When you can make the beers you like to *drink*, then you're in good shape. In my case, that's a good clean pale...heavy on the hops and with a pronounced hoppy finish.

I'm not saying experimentation with wacky brews is bad. But if you're new, you have no idea if you're making good beer or not really, since there's no frame of reference by which to compare wacky beer recipes. Lastly, your friends will be much more impressed if you make beer styles that are more familiar and make them well. That way you don't have to go "Isn't the spruce and the hint of licorice interesting??" ;)

Janx

Back