Harsh carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
Is it normal for the beer to have a bit of a harsh carbonation after a week in bottles? It smells great, and tastes great too...but the carbonation seems to be at a 'peak' right now or something. It is a nut brown ale with an FG around 1.013 or so. I primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar in 1 cup of water.

so it's gushing on you? Let me open up the old debate again. Did you take a hydrometer reading before you bottled? Your sugar sounds right, so that leaves bottling too early, an infection or not getting the sugar water mixxed very good. have you opened more than one bottle?

And no, it is not normal!

No its definitely not gushing or anything. Like i said, it tastes and smells great at this point, but maybe its not the carbonation thats leading to the taste...maybe its just because its only been in bottles for one week...couple more weeks and im guessing it will taste a lot better than it does now.

OH, so you're saying there's a harsh TASTE? hmmm, I bet it gets better. You're right in saying it's not the carbonation causing it, though.

Sounds exactly like my Scottish Ale. After one week in the bottle, it had good flavor and plenty of carbonation. But it had a really sharp initial bite when I took a sip.

After 3 weeks in the bottle, the bite is almost gone. I figure another week or two and it will be perfect.

Back