Help with a hop bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattlejohn

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have the grains and 4 types of hops at hand. I am wanting to make a crazy hop flavored beer with a little malt coming through. Here is what I am thinking and I would love to hear some feedback. Background: I have 'mastered' the double IPA and now I want to back off the strength and create a beer with the focus on hops, hops and more hops.

Anyway, I am shooting for OG: 1.072, IBU: 65 (too high?)

My Grains:
12 lbs 2 row
1 lb Biscuit malt
1.5 lbs Red (german) wheat
1 lb Honey malt

I have lots of Magnum, Amarillo, Willamette, and Cascade

I will be using Safale US-05

Here is my proposed hop schedule:

FWH: 2 oz Amarillo
60 min: 1 oz Magnum
25 min: 1 oz Amarillo
15 min: 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Cascade
5 min: 2 oz Amarillo, 2 oz Cascade
Dry Hop in keg: 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Cascade

Using the hops I have, what schedule would you propose to make a super hoppy beer with the focus on flavor/aroma? I have a pound of each hop I listed.

Thank you for your help!

Maybe skip the 25 min. addition and put that ounce together with the 2 Amarillo and 2 Cascade you have at 5 minutes, and split that between 5 and 0. So:

1 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz amarillo and 1 oz cascade @ 15
1.5 oz amarillo and 1 oz cascade @ 5
1.5 oz amarillo and 1 oz cascade @ 0
1 oz amarillo and 1 oz cascade dry hop

That's a lot of hops! But if I was going to use them all, I'd probably schedule them something like this.

Sounds really good to me!! I'd guzzle either beer above. Also, with all the hops you've got I'd dry hop repeatedly. Maybe add and once of each a week for three or four weeks....mmmmmm.

Definitely do a flameout/whirlpool addition, and make that one the biggest. I have done several both ways, and you get a way better aroma the later you go. I have started doing almost all of my additions later (90min or 60min/20min/7min/1min/0min). Works for me. Huge hop aroma.

Definitely do a flameout/whirlpool addition, and make that one the biggest. I have done several both ways, and you get a way better aroma the later you go. I have started doing almost all of my additions later (90min or 60min/20min/7min/1min/0min). Works for me. Huge hop aroma.

That's what I do now mostly as well. As a matter of fact, it isnt out of the question for me to just up and skip the 60 minute addition and get all my IBUs in the last 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back