cinnamon sticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I know this has been asked 1000 times but how many cinnamon sticks in the secondary and for how long. (5 gallons cider/3lbs brown sugar/3lbs molasses)

You put 3 POUNDS of molasses in 5 gallons?!? I seriously doubt you'll be able to taste anything else. All that molasses is going to overpower just about everything else. I'm guessing your ABV will be about 11-12%, so you MIGHT get lucky & the molasses might mellow enough to taste the cinnamon. Try adding 1 four or six inch stick to your secondary. The longer you leave it, the stronger the flavour. You can certainly add more if you want, but it easier to add more than it is to try to deal with having added too much. Regards, GF.

You put 3 POUNDS of molasses in 5 gallons?!? I seriously doubt you'll be able to taste anything else. All that molasses is going to overpower just about everything else. I'm guessing your ABV will be about 11-12%, so you MIGHT get lucky & the molasses might mellow enough to taste the cinnamon. Try adding 1 four or six inch stick to your secondary. The longer you leave it, the stronger the flavour. You can certainly add more if you want, but it easier to add more than it is to try to deal with having added too much. Regards, GF.

I did 3lbs before, after about 6 months it tasted pretty good IMO.

I did 3lbs before, after about 6 months it tasted pretty good IMO.

If it works for ya, go with it! :rockin: I put 10 oz of molasses in a 6 gallon batch of cyser & it overpowered the honey & apple easily. I'm hoping it will mellow enough for a winter warmer. Regards, GF.

Back