Just planted. Too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I wasnt planning on growing hops until I saw a vine growing in a ditch. Turns out this area was a huge Cascade farm from 1860 - 1930. Anyways, I got a section of rhizome from it and planted it today. It had some healthy lookin 2 inch long roots on it that were in tact and a 5 foot bine. Will the Bine grow much this year, or will the plant just spend its time adjusting itself to its new home? Or will it survive at all?

What a lucky find. I wish we had things like that growing around here in NC. All we have is boring stuff like tobacco and pot.

If you have a decent amount of rhizome mass and roots you should see some good growth and hopefully some production this season.

nice nice... theres about 6 inches or rhizome and a couple baby shoots and a bunch of roots. There is a kink in about half way up the big bine... is it dead past that kink or can it be saved?

Cut the bine back below the kink (just above a leaf). The leaf buds should grow two more bines (split).
This will also encourage the roots to send up more bines...

If it used to be a hop farm over a century ago there must be some massive hop crowns out there in that field. Your new mission is to find them, and stop screwing around with tiny rhizomes.

Cascades was developed in 1955, so either what you have isn't Cascades or it is much newer than you think. Cluster, Fuggle and Gold/Goldings were the most common hops back then. Fuggles is a ditch-weed around here.

The important thing is knowing hops grow in your local area. So, if this orphan works out, you can expand next year.

British Colombia used to be one of the largest hops producing areas. I believe you can still see some of the hop barns around Chilliwack in the Frasier Valley.

Even if the bine wasn;t kinked. It's likely it would have died off due to the shock/stress of transplanting but the rhisome should survive to shoot out some groeth this year.

Back