Equipment/how to for faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok, I've been pursuaded to go ahead and buy some faucets and shanks and drill my fridge. We've decided to get Perlicks, but haven't decided on how exactly to do this!

Does anybody know where a non-mechanically inclined person like me can find a list of what I need for the shanks, sizes, etc, as well as the size holes I need? I'll be drilling two holes in my fridge, for two taps. It's an apartment sized fridge (3/4 size) that only holds two kegs.

you haven;t done this yet?

shanks need to be deep enough to to got hru the wall /door of fridge +1.5" for fittings

fittings needed are nipples(hehehe) and washers if the shanks don't already come with a welded nipple.

that is really all needed. the hole size is 1" and a hole saw works best for going thru the fridge.

you haven;t done this yet?

shanks need to be deep enough to to got hru the wall /door of fridge +1.5" for fittings

fittings needed are nipples(hehehe) and washers if the shanks don't already come with a welded nipple.

that is really all needed. the hole size is 1" and a hole saw works best for going thru the fridge.

nope, still on my "round tuit" list. But, it'll be done by March 1. That's my goal.

Ok, so measure the wall, add 1.5"- that will be my length for the shanks. Nipples and washers, check. I assume some hose clamps, etc, too? I think I have a hole saw, and I'll make sure today.

I wish there was a "power tools for dummies" book for me. And a "putting things together for dummies" book.

Lorena,

These times two.

:mug:

Best price you are going to get anywhere; just ordered two myself!

Jason

Thanks Jason,

That is by far the best price for the faucets, shanks, etc.... Most places want over $40 for the faucets, and then the rest of the stuff will cost another $20. Superior Products used to have great prices on Perlicks, but they don't have them in stock lately.

Perfect!!!!!! That's exactly what I need. Do the black tap handles come with it too, or should I order two? Also, I assume some hose clamps can just fit over the beer line/nipple barb? And, I assume that my 3/16" beerline can be heated up and will fit on the nipple just fine. It says it works with 1/4" line, but I like the 3/16th.

Perfect!!!!!! That's exactly what I need. Do the black tap handles come with it too, or should I order two? Also, I assume some hose clamps can just fit over the beer line/nipple barb?

When I emailed Williams, they told me that they do come with the tap handles- but I know of at least two HBTers who can turn custom handles. :D

Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and build the damn collar for the keezer. You wanna keep me on track, Lorena??

Definitely get clamps, Oetiker preferably.

When I emailed Williams, they told me that they do come with the tap handles- but I know of at least two HBTers who can turn custom handles. :D

Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and build the damn collar for the keezer. You wanna keep me on track, Lorena??

Definitely get clamps, Oetiker preferably.

Oh, I'd sure like to get some custom handles for my birthday! Can you hook me up, Jason?

Erik- are you thinking of 1" shanks?

My friend purchased 4 Perlicks from Williams Co. and they came with the handles. The best part they are only 5 miles from where I live. I walked in
and acted like I wanted to purchase some equipment but they said they mail order items only no public walk ins. They operate out of a small 1/4 section of a warehouse with 3/4 leased by other companies in one small warehouse. Most items like over 95% of what they list are not in stock in their warehause, they take your order and ship from their suppliers. Heck you can run a business like this out of your house provided no business traffice enters and leaves your property. This I have checked with the city with operating a home business in the past. Back on topic; I saw a total of app 500 pounds of different sacks of grains and that was all the warehouse had besides shipping boxes and stuffing material plus the little heated office off to the side.

Like a big carpet company in my area that operates out of a public storage locker 6' wide by 20' deep with flyers sounding like a 20 van company.
JMO's not knocking Williams as I buy from them with cheap shipping that is fast but get nailed for in state sales tax this sucks.
As far as handles you can buy the brass double threaded insert and add them to your own custom handles. I have a wood lathe so this is no problem as far as custom handles.

Yooper you should get someone to turn you a mini hockey stick handle for one tap and a puck for the other.

Yooper you should get someone to turn you a mini hockey stick handle for one tap and a puck for the other.

That's brilliant!!!!!! I will see if I can find some extra broken blades or sticks around the rink today, and I have the perfect puck. I wonder if my friend can do it for me. He is handy with tools, but he's not a wood worker type. LOVE the hockey idea! (Why didn't I think of something like that? :drunk:)

Perfect!!!!!! ..... And, I assume that my 3/16" beerline can be heated up and will fit on the nipple just fine. It says it works with 1/4" line, but I like the 3/16th.

I just let the ends of my beer line sit in hot tap water in a glass/jar for about 1 minute and it slips on with a little wrangling.

Back