Gonna add some more yeast to an already bottled Barleywine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
I bottled a 10.8% barleywine about 7 weeks ago. I popped one open last week and there was zero carbonation. I wasn't totally surprised by this, but I did expect at least a few bubbles. Anyway, I know that I can just leave it longer and it might carbonate with what yeast is left sometime this decade, but I wanted to speed the process along so I can maybe drink a few of these at Christmas.

This is my plan, someone tell me if there is a better way:

Buy some US-05; properly re-hydrate. Using a sanitized pipette, put a couple of drops of the hydrated yeast into the bottle, recap.

That seems really simple, right? I don't see why that won't work, but I figured I would take advantage of the vast collection of brewing knowledge on the forums since I have it at my disposal; no point in going into this uninformed.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not the newly added yeast will be too stressed in the high-alcohol environment.

I welcome any input. Thanks!

I'd use champagne yeast instead. Are you certain you didn't forget your priming sugar?

Stop whatever you were planning on doing. The same thing has happened to me and I have addressed this question at least three other times. As long as you know there is yeast and priming sugar in there it will carb. I had a 10.7% ABV barleywine that took 3 months to carbonate. Those yeast are working under extremely stressful conditions, so it's going to take some time for them to convert the sugar, but they will.

Patience.

I have the same problem but my 11.7% barleywine has been in the bottle for 5 months. I was also considering adding yeast to the bottles. Does anyone know of a downside to this? Any tips for success?

Back