Any Ideas to reduce soot on kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell from the pic. Is there no plate to adjust air mixture into the burner housing?

Sooting is an indicator of a poor air mixture and incomplete combustion of the fuel.

Some use dish soap to make cleaning soot easier. That is, they coat the kettle before they light the fire.

Scrubbing with cream of tartar and warm water also works remarkably well for getting scorch marks off stainless steel.

Don't ask me why. It just does.

How would you fix incomplete combustion??

Can I just put some sort of plate on the burner in between it and the kettle (so it absorbs the soot)?? Or would this drop the heat transfer considerably??

Like GilaMinumBeer mentioned, is there a plate where the hose connects to the hard line? That's typically where it brings in air, so you can rotate the plate to adjust your air/fuel mix.

After a couple of searches, maybe it's on the bottom?

How would you fix incomplete combustion??

Can I just put some sort of plate on the burner in between it and the kettle (so it absorbs the soot)?? Or would this drop the heat transfer considerably??

"Most" burner assemblies have a sliding circular plate (the vane I think it's called) at the point where the gas line fits to the burner casting. This slide to either open or close off the available air that get mixed into the fuel at the throat of the casting. You adjust this to get a even colored flame at the tip of the burner.

f the tips of the flame are yellow, combustion is incomplete.

Some reading.

I am not familar with this burner tho'.

Back