SMASH Recipe thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I wanted to try. What do people think?

#10 2 row

1 oz liberty @60
1/2 Liberty @15
1/2 Liverty @5

Dried Ale Yeast

Sounds good to me, and I'd like to see how it turns out since I don't know much about Liberty. Personally I'd rather add the last addition at flameout rather than 5 minutes for more aroma effect, but that's entirely up to you. Please report back.

I haven't seen (m)any SMaSH's done with plain american 2-row, not that you couldn't, but usually people use something with a little more depth to it like Marris Otter, Munich, Vienna, etc.

I avoid flameout additions because I use a paint strainer rig and while my chiller is working I'm coaxing the wort out of the hop ball. In other words my hops get pulled out very shortly after flameout. If I want extra aroma I'll dry hop.

My SMaSH of last weekend is all US 2-row, but with Cascades, after I get another ounce of them I'm going to dry hop it as I somehow forgot the aroma add. I went for the citrusy flavor, but your Liberty choice sounds good... I've a little 2 row left.... maybe I'll try it with Liberty too.

I've made two different SMASH batches with just two-row. One used Centennial, the second used Czech Saaz.

The first one turned out really, really sour. (I've named it Unintentional Sour.) I don't know why. Second batch I mark up to stupidity. I sparged way too fast, used too much water, ended up with seven gallons instead of five.

What I have come to realize is that mistakes in a SMASH batch leap out into your face. You can't hide bad technique in a recipe that simple.

I have 2-row and Liberty SMaSH on deck! I'm really going to turn the screws on my technique with this one - double decoction, lagering, and kraeusening with hop infused gyle.

I like 2-row SMaSH as long as you use English ale yeast (S-04 is OK if you mash high, say 155*F). That way you get some malt flavor and fruitiness from the yeast strain. A clean strain like Cali ale would leave a lifeless beer.

I was planning on using Nottingham or Safale-04. I am going to do a Nut Brown tomorrow, but I am really interested in doing the SMASH soon. I wonder if the sourness was due to sanitation issues. I am not positive on that one but I hope so because I do not want to use #10 of 2 row and have a sour beer. Perhaps I will do a 2 gallon batch to test it out. I appreciate all of the input

. . . Perhaps I will do a 2 gallon batch to test it out.
Might as well do a mash for a full 5 gallons and split it into two 2 1/2 gallon batches. Use either a different hop or yeast (or both) in each to get a feel for what they contribute.

Good luck !

My smash bier (US 2row, German Tradition Hops, Notty yeast) turned out excellent. I even missed my mash in temp initially as it was @ 146. I added enough boiling water to raise it to 151.6 and it went well from there. I've had fairly poor results with trying to mash anything above 153... but then again that could just be me. While the science says a higher mash temp is the way to go, my smash had a fg of 1.008 and was very drinkable.

My $.02

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps I used my smash bier brewing session as a way to relax while brewing, as I'm usually VERY uptight about everything being JUST RIGHT!

Back