Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I'm making my porter today and I just had a time saving idea. I ran a hose from the shower and filled my HLT with water at 110f instead of the usual water from the garden hose at ~40f.

My question is can anyone think of any reason this may not be advisable? Are there going to be any differences between the two water sources other than temperature?

I wouldn't suggest taking water through a garden hose, but maybe I am just paranoid about it.

I take water out of a hot spigot and it works well in terms of bringing it to temp faster. I just carry it in a bucket.

I would not take that approach. Hot water leaches stuff out of the transport medium in your case, a garden hose. The garden house may contain lead if you are not using a potable water hose.

This brings up a question I've been wrestling with. I'm about to do my first batch this weekend and wondered if I should get bottled water??

Depends on what you know about your municiple water. I am guessing by your post that you don;t know anything about it yet. For your first batch I say go with your tap source and see.

My question is can anyone think of any reason this may not be advisable? Are there going to be any differences between the two water sources other than temperature?

Remember when you were a kid and you drank water from the hose and it had that "hose water" taste? Remember how it was worse if the water was hot from sitting out in the sun?

You don't want that flavor in your beer. My first batch was made with "hose water" and that taste will come though in your finished beer although it will go diminish with time.

I agree the hose water is not what you want in a brew, and I wouldn't want anything through a water heater unless you know the condition it's in...have you seen the crap that can come out of old heaters?

Back