Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausbkj

Reaction score
I've been an active home brewer for several years and have been given the honor of making the beer for a good friend's wedding. I have two problems .....volume and equipment. I need to put about 50-gallons on the scene. I have the brewing capacity to pull it off, but have always bottled. It's going to be tough to invest in full kegging gear right now. Any suggestions/experiences with pony kegs or how a person goes about borrowing some? How tough are they to sanitize? Can I "keg condition" for carbonation?

I'd invest in some large plastic fermenters if I were you. If your gonna bottle that much you'll need around 500 bottles. A local bar could help with bottles. Its possible to bottle that much, but I'd recruit some help. Get those groomsmen to help, after all thats what they are there for.

As for the kegging, I'm no help. I don't do it.

Welcome to HBT

I just started a bunch of mead for my wedding nest year.

[YOUTUBE]v3odey1UDGE[/YOUTUBE]

can't help with any pony keg experience - i have cornies.

about the conditioning, though - i'm sure you could keg condition, but you'll probably get some sediment, and it is likely not as simple as scaling the priming sugar 1:1 with respect to volume. I force carbonate, but i think you need to reduce the priming ratio in a keg, in general.

A cheap way to get some cornies-find some homebrewers with cornies, pay them a deposit to use the kegs and then just keep them. :)

You can condition and carb the beer in the cornies, but you'll still need a CO2 tank for serving (pushing the beer out after you start drawing).

Austin, TX. No way I'm bottling that much. Not so hot on 10 cornies either but I may be forced to go that route. Sounds like it's probaby gonna leave a mark..

There is no reason you cant use 15 gallon sanke kegs at your wedding. THe dipsticks on those things are easy to remove, just google sankey keg disassembly. Once you have them open, rack three carboys worth of your brew into them, reseal, and the pressurize/serve like you would any other keg.

Back