Over fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachHarms

Reaction score
I ran into a problem... My beer is done fermenting and is ready to bottle its been ready for like a week i dont have any bottles at the moment like i thought i would (everyone drinks from cans) and I don't get paid until Monday. What are some consequences for over fermenting what does it affect like color taste bacteria abv etc. thanks I don't want it to go bad but there is nothing I can do

Your hef will be fine. Actually your beer will benefit from more time in the primary fermenter. I usually employ a 3 week minimum in the primary.

A hef is best drunk young. That is within a few months after packaging.
But 2 weeks in primary would be minimal 3-4 weeks better and a couple of weeks longer would not harm it.

Then if bottling, normal timing - 2 weeks minimum 3 weeks likely and longer possible before they are ready.

Ok good, the instructions I got said like 10-14 days fermenting and another week in bottles but If you guys are saying it'll be fine then I believe that, just don't want my first batch to be a failure lol

It will be fine but are you taking a gravity reading with a hydrometer?

You should always determine when the beer is ready to bottle by gravity reading. 2-3 weeks is a rule of thumb but not the tell all.

All beers will ferment differently determining yeast strains, ferm temps etc...

To take a reading im assumin taking the air lock off won't harm anything or allow unwanted bacteria to enter and cause mold or anything correct

Correct, saying your using a carboy. Then, using a wine thief, take a sample and get the gravity. Once done with that, drink the sample.

So I bottled it and it tasted great but my reading showed 2% abv which seems too low considering it should be about 3 to 4 does bottling with the sugar reactive the yeast And cause a higher abv once bottled? Instead of adding the corn sugar for priming I went to my local homebrew shop where I was introduced to these carbonating sugar balls, seemed really easy just put one sugar cube (they are round) in yo each bottle, it apparently helps maintain an equal amount if sugar per bottle and it was only 4 bucks for 60 of them :D

Well not sure of the exact abc now but it got bottled today is the 7 day mark I had one yesterday cause I couldn't resist :) it tastes great

ZachHarms said:
So I bottled it and it tasted great but my reading showed 2% abv which seems too low considering it should be about 3 to 4 does bottling with the sugar reactive the yeast And cause a higher abv once bottled? Instead of adding the corn sugar for priming I went to my local homebrew shop where I was introduced to these carbonating sugar balls, seemed really easy just put one sugar cube (they are round) in yo each bottle, it apparently helps maintain an equal amount if sugar per bottle and it was only 4 bucks for 60 of them :D

I think you were reading the wrong scale. The potential alcohol scale just gives you potential assuming it ferments to 1.000.
since you said ~2%, you were probably in the 1.012-1.015 range. Since you think you started at 1.048, you just need to do a little math, or use a calculator on the net. Just search for abv calculator.

when I'm feeling lazy, I get a pile of sugar super hot in a pan to sterilize it, but not melt it, then measure a dose into each bottle. Then I can skip the bottle bucket. It works for small batches, but takes too long for a whole 5g batch.

Latest posts

Back