Accurate FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After bottling this afternoon I remembered to check the FG. I used what was left in the bottom of the secondary. Even though this was the secondary, there was a fair amount of sediment in the sample I used. Will this have an effect on the accuracy or the measurement?

Just finishing a Pilsner that’s only about four weeks old. (Had to check the carbonation before moving to basement for conditioning.) It’s gonna be REAL hard to stay out of this stuff.

I asked a similar question earlier, and I think that becuase the yeast is in suspension, and not solution, it won't effect the reading.

Considering you put the priming sugar in the bucket prior to the reading that may effect the reading (maybe not by much).

EDIT: nope you took it out of the secondary... should be accurate

Yeah, there was no priming sugar, straight from the secondary. It just looks really thick, so I thought that it might have an effect. Actually kind of hoping it did because it's at 1.018, but it started at 1.062, and there was no activity, so I should be fine. Sure tasted good!

It will be the next beer I drink tonight. When I moved it to the secondary there was not enough room, so I bottled one. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm feeling brave . . . .

Back