New brewer needs help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnorris

Reaction score
I just finished tasting my first brew (Bock flavor). The flavor is pretty good and it is a nice color but there wasn't much of a head on the beer. Is this because of carbonation? Or do I need it to sit longer in the bottles? It has sat for about 2 weeks at around 70 degrees. any ideas?

Thanks

Some yeasts take longer than others.

What was the final gravity reading? How much priming sugar did you use?

It will only get better with age...

Let it set another week and it'll probably get more carbonation. 2 weeks is probably borderline for enough aging to carbonate fully. But, like Toot said, we need more info to diagnose it.

Sadly since I am new and didn't really have any direction I dont know how to figure out the gravity reading.

I used 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Is there a guideline for the length of time certain beers need to sit in the bottles before they are drinkable?

jnorris said:
Sadly since I am new and didn't really have any direction I dont know how to figure out the gravity reading.

I used 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Is there a guideline for the length of time certain beers need to sit in the bottles before they are drinkable?

2 weeks is typical for carbonation. But 3-4 weeks isn't uncommon. Many more weeks may be necessary for the flavors to balance for the beer to get really good. Just keep sampling it and notice the changes at it ages. Like a lot of things, it just depends. It'll be ready when it's ready and not a moment sooner.

The bigger the beer (higher ABV) the longer it will need to condition. Your average ale will be drinkable in a week or two, but it won't reach peak flavor until about 4 weeks out.

Latest posts

Back