Using coriander and orange peel in PM wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to create my first modified recipe. It will be a partial mash that is based on the 3 Weiss Guy's Wheat Beer extract recipe written in Palmer's How to Brew.

I have read through other wheat recipes that mention using coriander seeds (1 oz) and orange peal (1 oz) but did not have the times at which these are added to the wort. I am also unsure of if I should use sweet orange peel or bitter orange peel. Anyone have any recommedations?

Partial Mash recipe for 6 gallons
3 lbs. Malted Wheat
2 lbs. 2-row
0.5 lbs. flaked oats
handful of rice husks to prevent stuck mash

3.3 lbs. Wheat LME in boil
3.3 lbs. Wheat LME at knockout

Hops: 27 IBUs total
0.5 oz Sterling hops at 60 min.
0.75 oz Liberty Hops at 30 min
1 oz Liberty Hops at finish

Yeast: Nottingham Dry Yeast for 3 gallons and WL-1010 for 3 gallons

Also, I am using too much or too little grain for the partial mash? I would like to have this conditioned by mid May so I can serve it to everyone that helps my wife and I move.

Thanks...:mug:

Mick

I jusut bottled a Wit on Friday and I used 1oz of crushed corriander at 10 min and the zest of 1 large grapefruit and the zest of one tangerine at 5 min. The fresh zest worked out to be a little over an oz. Just make sure to crack your corriander and try not to transfer it or the zest into the carboy. I have always been told this has ill effects, but have never done it to find out.(so I really don't know if it will) While I was bottling the beer tasted great, still needed some time to its thing but tatsed great.

Usually those are added somewhere within the last 15 minutes, so as not to drive off the volatiles that impart those particular aromas and flavors to the beer.

Back