• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Three Floyds Dark Lord...4 Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure its a free market, but come on..>Who's stupid enough to pay a grand for 4 bottles of beer? Does this guy honestly believe someone's going to buy it?

I bet someone does buy it, if only because he got one of the brandy bottles. So 5 bottles, $200 each. People pay that for Utopias and that seems less rare.

Really? People are paying 200 bucks for a bottle of Utopias? Wow, I didn't realize people were willing to do that. Well, I guess I learn something new every day.
I'd rather brew my own Imperial Russian Stout, but to each his own!

No... no brandy bottle. Aged in brandy barrels. Just 4 bottles of beer.

4 bottles of beer on the wall... 4 bottles of beer...

It does suck that the winning tickets didn't go to someone who was excited to get it to drink someday and that the beer isn't bought by people excited to drink it, but that would be a perfect world and we definitely don't live in one of those. I saw one of the specialty bottles on ebay the other day by itself for $750. I'd love to see the feds crack down these guys selling beer! But I know they're selling the :collectors bottle."

I was lucky enough to buy a bottle a year or two ago on here from a member....for what he paid for it plus actual shipping to me. I'd do that again. $28 was about my limit though for one bottle

No... no brandy bottle. Aged in brandy barrels. Just 4 bottles of beer.

4 bottles of beer on the wall... 4 bottles of beer...

I did word that incorrectly; as you said one of the bottles is aged in brandy bottles, but from the wording "as well as" I believe he is selling five bottles. Four regular and one brandy-barrel aged.

Really? People are paying 200 bucks for a bottle of Utopias? Wow, I didn't realize people were willing to do that. Well, I guess I learn something new every day.
I'd rather brew my own Imperial Russian Stout, but to each his own!

Sometimes people want something different than your Russian Imperial Stout, and maybe they're intrigued by a bottle of Utopias. I see nothing wrong with buying a 200 dollar bottle of anything, provided you can afford it. Utopias is its own monster, and to compare it to any normal beer would be silly. Whether people like it or hate it, it is a truly unique product.

That said, the guy selling Dark Lord for that much is an *******.

Just bought it. I live in Chicago and someone was kind enough to hand me a small cup of Dark Lord last Saturday, but I felt the urge to waste money and give this bloke in Cinci $1000.

Just bought it. I live in Chicago and someone was kind enough to hand me a small cup of Dark Lord last Saturday, but I felt the urge to waste money and give this bloke in Cinci $1000.

Interested in 4 2006 for $2000 I can post pictures

So this brew actually goes for 200 bux per bottle? What was the actual price initially for a bottle? Seems like quite a finders fee.

-cheers

Sure its a free market, but come on..>Who's stupid enough to pay a grand for 4 bottles of beer? Does this guy honestly believe someone's going to buy it?
I see the comment by people all the time about pricing in a free market.... seems mostly like internal jealousy to me at seeing someone else make an outstanding amount of money on something you don't treasure as much. What's wrong with giving people the freedom to do with their money as they darned well please? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the stuff. If someone actually wants it for that price... more power to both the seller and buyer.

Side note.... looks almost like forgery stuff to me.

I see the comment by people all the time about pricing in a free market.... seems mostly like internal jealousy to me at seeing someone else make an outstanding amount of money on something you don't treasure as much. What's wrong with giving people the freedom to do with their money as they darned well please? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the stuff. If someone actually wants it for that price... more power to both the seller and buyer.

I agree. He sets his price,buy it or you dont. He might have a million reasons for why he is selling instead of doing other things with the bottles.

Dont be hatin!!!

Ditto. The place it comes up most often, I think, is in pro sports. When someone says "they get paid way too much, they shouldn't get paid that much!", I ask "Well, which do you believe, that the owner ought not be allowed to offer the money or that the player ought not be allowed to accept it?"

I have to agree. Value is simply what it is perceived to be. Take sports trading cards. They come several to a pack for under a buck and yet some later sell for hundreds of dollars. It's still the same piece of printed card stock and yet someone perceives it as valuable. If a person is willing to pay $2000 for this beer then that is exactly what it is worth. The market is self limiting. That is of course assuming there is no deception on the part of the seller.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Everyone is free to set a price, and everyone is free to negotiate that price or walk away. That is what a free market is.

I know many who think I am a little off for the amounts I spend on bicycles and brewing equipment.

Personally I think this this price is laughable. I would never spend that amount for any alcoholic beverage. I have had Louis 14th cognac at ~$300 a snifter (given to me), and thought, "Yep, that tastes like brandy."

Sometimes, people have to point and declare "The Emperor is wearing no clothes!"

In years past Dark Lord has generally gone for $30-50 a bottle on ebay. Original price tag is $15.

The specialty bottles were only available if you won the scratch off portion of the ticket, and were allowed to buy one for $50 a bottle. I imagine those will go for big money.

3 years ago I tried the bourbon barrel aged vanilla bean version and love it.

Number of bottles per person has been dropping the last 3 years too. Only 4 bottles per person this year, last year was 8 or 6 (depending on when you got in the brewery).

It does suck that the winning tickets didn't go to someone who was excited to get it to drink someday and that the beer isn't bought by people excited to drink it, but that would be a perfect world and we definitely don't live in one of those. I saw one of the specialty bottles on ebay the other day by itself for $750. I'd love to see the feds crack down these guys selling beer! But I know they're selling the :collectors bottle."

I was lucky enough to buy a bottle a year or two ago on here from a member....for what he paid for it plus actual shipping to me. I'd do that again. $28 was about my limit though for one bottle

Whats to say that this isn't a guy that got them hoping to drink them but needs some cash. The economy sucks right now.

If people don't like it, don't buy it.... but considering the other crap out there that people spend money on, it could be a lot worse.

There's no way he's getting that much. DL is going for like $50 a bottle on ebay. Black Tuesday and certain one offs can easily fetch $250+ but DL is not even in the ball park. Vanilla Bean DL on the other hand...

I've always frowned upon people going to these releases with the intention of selling the beer for a huge mark up. I've been cheated out a number of releases that I'm pretty sure I would have been able to score awesome beer if there hadn't been throngs of profiteers who got there before me. I witnessed a guy who lined up well before the opening time to line up (as requested by the brewer) walk to the back of the line with the bottles he bought minutes earlier and try to sell them to us at twice the cost. He was not received well. I drove 7 hours to Santa Rosa in 2010 for PtY. I was an hour too late but by the time I arrived there were a dozen local craigslist adds for growlers at x5 the cost.

I think most craft beer drinkers harbor at least a little bit of counter culture sentiment. Seeing a product they care about treated as a mere commodity rubs them the wrong way.

That being said, I'd be lying if I suggested I was never temped to ebay some of my cellar gems to get some shiny new brewing equipment.

he's also almost 5 hr drive from three floyds, selling it to people who would never make that drive to get it, and who might spend the extra dough to get it locally

i understand it, but would never do it, and would love to try the beer sometime...

I went to Dark Lord and saw a bunch of people that won the right to buy one of the rare bottles of Dark Lord. I asked just about everyone of them (that I saw at least) if they were going to sell it, and if so how much. Not a single person said that they were interested in selling their beers, but low and behold on ebay that same night rare DL being sold for anywhere between 250-775 a bottle. I do not care about someone wanting to sell their beer, but as kevmo said it is counter culture to someone that only wants the beer to drink it.

Personally I would never pay that much for a bottle of beer. A pre prohibition bottle of Absinthe...perhaps. I think that those that are selling them are not "craft beer people" and are the same people that scalp tickets "way" above face value. I never gouge people on a sale and have never been gouged. I always manage to find the "good soul" that is not looking to scalp but just help someone out.

Whats to say that this isn't a guy that got them hoping to drink them but needs some cash. The economy sucks right now.

I would say because his financial situation didnt change much in the less than 48 hours that elapsed from when he took possession of his Dark Lord to the time he posted the ad.

beesy said:
I would say because his financial situation didnt change much in the less than 48 hours that elapsed from when he took possession of his Dark Lord to the time he posted the ad.

And now who is to say that his financial situation DID change that much in that time. Say he totalled his car, or that he had a personal injury, or that he got an eviction notice because his landlord hadn't made a mortgage payment in 6 months. Listen, it's your money. You took the time to earn it, spend it as you please. To me it just sounds like you're getting WAY to caught up in what the 'Jones' ' are doing. Go brew some beer and stop wasting time with this garbage. STAT!!!!!!!!!!

beesy said:

Id be willing to bet that 90% of the people i see in ny job as a medic could say that a few days ago everything was fine....

Roll your car. Lose your job. Have th plumbing go out. Roof starts leaking.

**** happens. People sell things to make money. If you don't want to pay the price dont.

Do you walk into the car dealership and ***** them out for selling the limited edition for more?

Breweries are counting on this happening when they turn it into commodity. I don't see you bitching that the brewery made a fake commodity to create hype....... but that is exactly what happened.

jd3 said:
Id be willing to bet that 90% of the people i see in ny job as a medic could say that a few days ago everything was fine....

Roll your car. Lose your job. Have th plumbing go out. Roof starts leaking.

**** happens. People sell things to make money. If you don't want to pay the price dont.

Do you walk into the car dealership and ***** them out for selling the limited edition for more?

Breweries are counting on this happening when they turn it into commodity. I don't see you bitching that the brewery made a fake commodity to create hype....... but that is exactly what happened.

Agree with the last part. There's not a whole lot of reason they can't meet demand for the beer. While this particular guy may have had his financial situation change, I doubt it. Even if he did, there are still tons of people doing the exact same thing fully expecting to scalp the bottles from the get-go. But many breweries open themselves up to this, knowing full-well that they're encouraging this kind of behavior.

But ultimately, I'm fine with it. I benefit hugely from the other factor causing this kind of thing, as do most craft-beer enthusiasts. That factor is price. We really do pay too little for most of the world-class beers available to us. Think you could buy a bottle of similar-caliber wine for anywhere near $15? Three Floyds is, economically speaking, simply not charging enough if the beers can be successfully scalped. At the current price point, there is literally a shortage. They could find a price equilibrium, and simply set the price high enough that the quantity demanded (as in the number of bottles people are WILLING and ABLE to buy at a given price point) equals the quantity supplied, at which point anybody trying to scalp the stuff would quickly learn they're just wasting a lot of time and money. But if that were the case, the price would be such that, like a great bottle of wine, scotch, cognac, etc, only the privileged few would be able to afford it, and most of us would just have a far smaller chance of ever even trying the beer.

At least with the current situation, I have a much more realistic shot. Scalpers are going to be inevitable wherever the discrepancy between supply and demand results in a shortage, but since that enables me to drink world-class beers far more often than I otherwise could, I'm happy that the situation even allows scalpers to exist. The only people who lose out are the very wealthy, who have to put up with a lot more competition trying to get the beer at $15, rather than easily being able to buy a ton of it at 10 times the price.

Back