Mystery Hops Identification Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
Yes indeed. PLEASE can you wise folks give me some guidance on what these are. Cut one open, and the aroma very much will fill a room. Put a bit in your mouth and the bitterness will stick with you for a long time.

Help a poor noob figure out the ID :drunk:

Mysteryhops1.jpg

Most of the cones are about this big. Some are bigger, the weaker ones smaller. The real mammoths of the bunch are about two inches.

Mysteryhops2.jpg

The two five lobed leaves are the most common by and large. The other one is from the last about quarter part of a vine tendril.

There are only a handful of hops that can be positively identified by cone and leaf shape. This isn't one of them.

When you crush a cone what aromas do you get? If you steep a cone is some hot water for a bit what are the aromas that you get as well as the taste of the hop tea? That may help in narrowing the possibilities.

Are these growing wild in your backyard or is these from an rhizome that you ordered that wasn't labeled?
runhard

When you crush a cone what aromas do you get? If you steep a cone is some hot water for a bit what are the aromas that you get as well as the taste of the hop tea? That may help in narrowing the possibilities.

Are these growing wild in your backyard or is these from an rhizome that you ordered that wasn't labeled?
runhard

As far as the vine, it came with the house. The former owner had definitely brewed - I remember seeing a carboy in the basement when looking around prior to purchase and wondering what the heck it was - and the vine had been trained to go up to the roof (not the best idea for a variety of reasons, but...).

On the aromas, I'm a gawdawful judge other than "hoppy." Probably piney as an element with maybe a citrus element. Very strong, though. When I cut that one in half for the pic, it filled the room (kitchen) quickly and easily. I did taste some leaf (not tea) and it had massive bitterness - I spit it out fairly quick and it stuck with me for over an hour.

Latest posts

Back