Adding Jack Daniels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a recipe (Partial Mash) for a good bourbon stout or porter to keep me warm on the cool nights this winter. I want to add some Jack Daniels before bottling to give it an extra kick. I'm also toying with adding some oak chips in the secondary, though I'm not sure if the charcoal flavor of the Jack mixed with the oak chips might be too much. I've never done anything or tasted anything like this before as I am still a newb.

1) How much whiskey is a good amount? I am not afraid of having a strong whiskey taste and it would actually be preferred. I was thinking of maybe adding a fifths worth into the bottling bucket.

2) Does adding the whiskey at bottling affect bottling condition at all? Is more or less sugar needed? What about time?

3) Just out of curiosity, but is there anyway to determine the abv of the beer after I have added the whiskey?

4) Finally, does anyone know of any good recipes like this that I can look at for ispiration? This is only the third recipe I have formulated and I need a little guidance.

Thanks! :mug:

I'm trying to formulate a recipe (Partial Mash) for a good bourbon stout or porter to keep me warm on the cool nights this winter. I want to add some Jack Daniels before bottling to give it an extra kick. I'm also toying with adding some oak chips in the secondary, though I'm not sure if the charcoal flavor of the Jack mixed with the oak chips might be too much. I've never done anything or tasted anything like this before as I am still a newb.

1) How much whiskey is a good amount? I am not afraid of having a strong whiskey taste and it would actually be preferred. I was thinking of maybe adding a fifths worth into the bottling bucket.

2) Does adding the whiskey at bottling affect bottling condition at all? Is more or less sugar needed? What about time?

3) Just out of curiosity, but is there anyway to determine the abv of the beer after I have added the whiskey?

4) Finally, does anyone know of any good recipes like this that I can look at for ispiration? This is only the third recipe I have formulated and I need a little guidance.

Thanks! :mug:

Northern Brewer has a Bourbon Barrel Porter which I have in secondary right now with Oak Chips. I added 16oz of Makers Mark and 2 oz of Med Plus toasted oak. Be careful with the oak - only leave it on for 2-4 weeks at most (taste it along the way and rack when it's where you like it). It takes a LONG time for oak flavor to fade of you go too much. Remember, a little oak goes a long way.

Another alternative I have seen is soaking your oak chips in the whiskey prior to racking onto them, though this may not impart as much bourbon flavor as you may be looking for, it will still make a great oaked brew.

jack daniels makes oak bbq chips you can use for smoking and im guessing maybe for brewing also....oak is oak

My calculations as to how much a fifth of Jack will change your abv.

JD: 750mL (a fifth)x 40% abv = 300ml alcohol = 0.3L

Beer: (assume 5%abv and 5 gallons (19L)). = 0.95L alcohol

Adding the two together: = 0.3L + 0.95L = 1.25L alcohol
and 19L+.75L = 19.75L total volume

so the abv of the the beer/JD mix would be: 1.25L/19.75L = 0.063 = 6.3%abv

Back