Does anyone really like scottish ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since joining BJCP, I have found a new understanding of what used to be beers I disliked. Scotch Ales & Belgian Wits are two of them.

Once understanding what they are supposed to taste like, the ingredients that go into them, and how they are made, I now can drink one with the proper level of expectation and enjoy it.

I used to hate Wits because I was always expecting a Bavarian Hefe, thus it was a disappointing beer. Now I understand the difference between the two and now enjoy both (though Bavarian Hefe's are my favorite).

Studying for the BJCP exam has definitely broadened my horizons on beers that I normally would not even bother to try.

Belhaven-scottish.gif

Yup, tried it and didn't like it. It was however about a year ago so I'd be willing to give it or other brands a try. I'll hit up the bottle shop on Friday! :mug:

sAvAgE said:
Ey Laddie

Cant we settle this ou'r a pint?

A Scots Ale will put hair on yer chest laddie!

:rockin:

Ya, you betcha. Look what [SIZE=-1]McEwan's[/SIZE] did to this guy after 1 bottle.

images%5C2241304.jpg

i love scottish ales...the beer i have more trouble drinking consecutive bottles of is an IPA. that being said, i well conditioned IPA is different, and more palatable than a green one.

I tried Orkney's skull splitter for the first time two weeks ago. My primary room is now 10 degrees colder and full of wee heavy. I think what I like most about this style is the focus on delicate nuances in the malt profile. Huge late hop additions can cover up an awful lot. I really wanted to taste that big bag of Maris Otter I got for Christmas and this seems like the way to do it.

Back