American Amber Ale American Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
American Red Ale

Grain:
9 lbs. American 2-Row Malt
2 lbs. Crystal/Caramel Malt 40L
2 oz. Roasted Barley

60 minute mash @ 154.

Hops:
2 oz. Willamette @ 60 minutes

Whole leaf hops.

Yeast:
Wyeast #1056 American Ale

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to brew this for a second time this weekend...I really liked the 1st batch, it's amazing how simple is often better.

I used a variation of this recipe for my second all-grain attempt.

I used Irish Ale yeast instead, and changed the times for adding the hops a bit since I was using pellets.

My hydrometer broke right before brewing, so I won't have the best notes. But I hope to return with some positive feedback on how the finished product tastes.

I'm trying to decide between this and EdWort's Stone IPA clone for this weekend. Either will be my 1st all grain.

I'm thinking about brewing this, two 3 gallon recipes in my two new glass carboys and using Wyeast 1056 and WL East Coast Ale.

Whatyda think?

Just brewed this, and its tasty, but very red at all, just brown. Could have measured poorly and gotten more than 2 oz of roasted barley. Next time i'll use one oz.

anyone else have this not come out as red? I have crystal 60 already, could i use 1.5lbs and still get the same results?

I brewed this in August, and just finished off the keg.
It was nice and red and really great flavor.
I will be doing this one again.
Easy, and tasty.

michiganflyer said:
I brewed this in August, and just finished off the keg. It was nice and red and really great flavor. I will be doing this one again. Easy, and tasty.

Thanks for the impute, I am going to put this one on my short list. I was thinking of splitting the batch and playing with the hops.

Ok, got this on the short list to do in two weeks, (got to free up some fermenters) the OP has the roasted barley listed at two ounces, but in beer smith it looks like it will be more of a brown color. I bumped it up to four ounces and it looks more red. The roasted barley I have is 300 SRM. Beer smith says the color is 14.6 SRM. I don't want to over do it, but I don't want brown either, your thoughts please?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed this yesterday, and glad I added the extra grain to make it more of a red color. The hydro looked great, and was impressed with the taste even before fermentation. Was bubbling away twenty minutes after it was in the fermenter.

This is an easy breezy recipe, and taste great too! This is a great session ale, just need to lighten up the color a bit. Going to be a regular on my rotation

I think this is going on the rotation list. I've been looking for a good red.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398628934.978866.jpg

Here is mine, I used four oz of roasted barley, so I am going to back it off since it got a little darker than I wanted. I am using Beersmith and the picture looked very pale to me, but it's a little darker than I was looking for. However, I love the taste, and it's a great easy session beer. Please post back with your results!

CHEERS!

Brewed another batch today, backed the roasted barley off to 2 oz. Will post back with picture when I get it in the glass. I love this beer, it's a great easy drinker.

MollyHatchet, how did this turn our color-wise? Was it a little closer to what you were looking for? Any pics?

View attachment 195994

Here is mine, I used four oz of roasted barley, so I am going to back it off since it got a little darker than I wanted. I am using Beersmith and the picture looked very pale to me, but it's a little darker than I was looking for. However, I love the taste, and it's a great easy session beer. Please post back with your results!

CHEERS!

I'm intrigued to try this recipe, so I am going to brew it tomorrow :D Based off the picture here I am opting to go with 3oz of roast barley and will post a pic asap :) :mug:

The two oz were enough and gave it a nice reddish color. I try to keep this on tap all the time. I have a keg on standby I plan to tap within the next week, I'll post a picture. I get plenty of compliments on how it's a great easy drinker.

What kind of volume are you guys getting with this recipe? This will be my first home brew ever, and I'm not sure what to expect. Planning on the standard 1.25 quarts/lb. and .5 gal/ lb. for sparging.

I strike with 4.75 gallon, and spare with 4.75 gallon, 14 day primary, no secondary, straight to keg, age 30 days. I usually can do this for .42 to .58 cents a pint depending on grain source.

Been gone awhile. I'm glad everyone likes the recipe.

IIRC back when I posted this, we were talking about doing the best batch of beer you could on the cheap side. This is what I came up with. Definitely a friends and family pleaser.

The logic behind the recipe is that I buy both 2-Row and 40L caramel malt in 50lb bags and always have some #1056 laying around for MANY other recipes (you could use Safale US-05 in a pinch OR to make it extra cheap, if you don't have an extra yeast cake laying around). The hops came from Freshops, back during the "Great Hops Shortage" and I stocked WAY up and had plenty on hand; plus I love Willamette. You could just as easily use Fuggles or Hallertau or your low AA hop of choice.

I can make this beer with, basically, leftovers. Very inexpensive and easy drinking, indeed.

Thanks again!

I have done this recipe several times, the last time I used WLP004. I didn't find it added or subtracted from US-05 I used in the past. The only difference I did was add an additional 2 oz of Willemette, one at 30 minutes, and one at 5 minutes. I found the beer was "more" balanced, which I attribute to the additional hops.

I brewed this today. Only change was I used some Marris Otter in with the 2-row, I just had it laying around...figured I would go for it. The color looks awesome!

Bottled today. Used @ 1.85 cups (2 gallon batch) of pure VT Maple Syrup instead of priming sugar...always wanted to put VT syrup in something, so I went with it.

This was my first 'I found it on the internet' recipe and also my first larger batch (halved it to 2.75 gal) after doing some 1 gallon batches.

I was worried that it was going to turn out too dark, but I like the result!

MIEoPNxl.jpg

It took a good 3 weeks to really carb up though (bottled).

In addition to being something I'll have on hand regularly, I think this may be the basis for some experiments I want to do.

I bought all of the stuff today and will be brewing on Saturday on my grainfather. Looking for a cheap and easy go to red ale. I bought US-05 instead of the yeast in the recipe so hopefully it still turns out great!

I bought all of the stuff today and will be brewing on Saturday on my grainfather. Looking for a cheap and easy go to red ale. I bought US-05 instead of the yeast in the recipe so hopefully it still turns out great!

I used US-05 for mine and had no issues. I believe the FG did end up a bit lower than what the recipe here has, though.

I just bottled up 8 bottles of this and kegged the rest. The color was beautiful. Chilling the keg now and will start carbing tonight. I'l pour my first glass saturday during brew day and see how it's coming along. I am a little worried though I used one pack of US-05 and didn't rehydrate. Hoping for no off flavors. This was my first brew with my new grainfather as well, so my mash temperature was kind of all over the place from 150-154.

Sorry for the third post in a row. I don't even care. Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the recipe. Just pulled the first pint and turned out better than I expected! Nice and malty and delicious.

amredale.jpg

I gave a buddy a bottle of this and he said it was nice and malty with a good color, but it had kind of a tartness to it. I don't really pick it up as much as he claimed to, but I do a little bit. Is this normal for the recipe or is something in my process? I don't think it's bad, just not sure if it's supposed to be like that lol.

Latest posts

Back