Arsenic in brown rice syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHOA. I'd heard about arsenic in rice, and the consensus was that with the whole grain, it's not of much concern, but this is the first analysis of rice syrup I've seen. Better go easy on this stuff in recipes. Good thing I don't sweeten my food or drink!

Hmmmm.....I already bought enough to do 2 brews tomorrow with half the fermentables sorghum and half brs...I'm sure many gf brewers are drinking beers w lots of brs as we speak

Wait...are you saying there is something harmful in our beer? No way!

Aren't we already engaged in something that is harmful to our bodies? You know, alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin, it kills microorganisms and if you drink too much of it in one sitting you can die from alcohol poisoning.

As with most things, I'm sure the problem is in the dose. Sweetening baby formula with it (eating it every day, multiple times per day, in early development stages) is way more problematic than a brew (which by definition will dilute the syrup) consumed a few times per week.

But, it's something to keep in mind. It may be worthwhile to sub in sorghum syrup for those hoppier beers where you won't notice the "twang". Or, use a mix of sorghum and BRS to reduce the ppm.

I would imagine that the rice syrup solids would have a similar problem.

Back