First Brew - Need a Little Clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotes

Reaction score
I am about to start my first IPA using Thomas Coopers Selection IPA. I have read a lot of conflicting information so I just wanted some clarification. Any suggestions and reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

1) After pitching my yeast and beginning primary fermentation is it better to use an ale pale with the lid on loosely, or to use a carboy with a stopper. Does oxygen access make a difference?

2) Is secondary fermentation nessecary?

3) This kit is pre-hopped. How much hops are we talking here? Is this just in terms of flavour, or is this bitterness and aroma as well. I have some goldings that I would like to use and i enjoy a very hoppy beer in terms of flavour, bitterness and aroma but I dont want to go over board. Anyone have experience with this kit?

The lid on the ale pail should be snapped down tight with an airlock that goes in the grommet fitted to the lid. Don't want any nasties or flies getting in there.
No,secondary isn't needed unless oaking or ading fruit sort of thing.
I believe that's an English style IPA. not hoppy flavored/smelling like ours. Bittering & some aroma I think.

I am about to start my first IPA using Thomas Coopers Selection IPA. I have read a lot of conflicting information so I just wanted some clarification. Any suggestions and reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

1) After pitching my yeast and beginning primary fermentation is it better to use an ale pale with the lid on loosely, or to use a carboy with a stopper. Does oxygen access make a difference?
Oxygen access does make a difference, in that you don't want any of it after you pitcht the yeast. However, the choice between a carboy and a bucket is personal preference. An Ale Pale should have a hole and grommet for an airlock so no need to put it on there loosely. Both a bucket and a carboy will keep oxygen out just fine.

2) Is secondary fermentation nessecary?
Nope.
3) This kit is pre-hopped. How much hops are we talking here? Is this just in terms of flavour, or is this bitterness and aroma as well. I have some goldings that I would like to use and i enjoy a very hoppy beer in terms of flavour, bitterness and aroma but I dont want to go over board. Anyone have experience with this kit?
Sorry I can't help you here as I've never used that kit or pre-hopped extract in general.

Well,the final point here seems to be about style. English (read original) IPA's are different than their American counterparts. English ones are more toward bittering than the hoppy flavors & aromas we prefer.

Wow you guys are fast. Thank you very much for the info. My ale pail lid does not fit tightly for some reason so i guess carboy it is! I have heard horror stories about blow back. How can i prevent that?

With a blow off rig. fit a length of tubing to the airlock,& into a jug part full of water with a splash of starsan.

Back