Sugar per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just kegged my Strawberry Hefe but the batched ended up a little large. Like 6.5 - 7 gallons.
So I have 5 in a keg and anout 1-2 gallons still in the carboy. I don;t want to just dump it so I'm going to bottle it.
Not knowing exactly how much I have I want to do it per bottle and don't feel like making the hour long round trip to the LHBS for carb drops.

How much sugar should I put into each bottle? I was thinking like a 1/2 tsb. What do you think?

I think you're an idiot!! Just kidding. :D

The usual priming addition is 3/4 C Corn Sugar for 5 gals or 4 oz.

Divide 5 gals into 4 oz = .8 oz per gallon. If you have 2 gals then use 1.6 oz CS with 1 C water, boil 5 mins. ;) :D

PS Never add sugar to the bottles. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I think you're an idiot!! Just kidding. :D

The usual priming addition is 3/4 C Corn Sugar for 5 gals or 4 oz.

Divide 5 gals into 4 oz = .8 oz per gallon. If you have 2 gals then use 1.6 oz CS with 1 C water, boil 5 mins. ;)

PS Never add sugar to the bottles. ;)

Reading is fundamental :D
Not knowing exactly how much I have I want to do it per bottle and don't feel like making the hour long round trip to the LHBS for carb drops.

Not knowing if it's one gal, 1.5 gal, or 2 gal, that makes a huge differnce in the amount of sugar..

Screw it, I'll just make the drive and get the drops.

Those 6.5 gallon "brew buckets"/"ale pails" are nice because they usually have gallon markings on the side. I use mine all the time for situations like this. Not sure of any easier way to measure large volumes of liquid (unless you have a nice tun/kettle wiht marked sight-glass).

Measure it with a yardstick or tape meaasure...the nominal volume of a carboy is measured at the shoulder, so the volume-to-height ratio is basically linear from the bottom o fthe carboy to the shoulder (ie x inches = one gallon). Once you know "x", you can measure how much beer you have left.

Not perfect, but close enough for this exercise.

And in the future, you might want to mark your carboy in gallon increments.

Bike N Brew said:
Measure it with a yardstick or tape meaasure...the nominal volume of a carboy is measured at the shoulder, so the volume-to-height ratio is basically linear from the bottom o fthe carboy to the shoulder (ie x inches = one gallon). Once you know "x", you can measure how much beer you have left.

Not perfect, but close enough for this exercise.

And in the future, you might want to mark your carboy in gallon increments.
Yes I'm going to go thru all my carboys and mark them.
I"m not haveing a good day, have been chasing one design failure after another since last week Friday, I can't get any of my 5 cornies to seal up and can't figure out what to do with this "extra" brew...
3474921010-angry013.gif

Back