Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did consider bringing that up, but I think it would have blown his mind if I suggested there were more than 4 styles* of beer.

*Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Dark Beer

I've got family that claims to be able to taste the difference between the BMCs, but if you give them a wheat, a pale ale, and a stout side by side they probably would say they all taste the same.

I've got family that claims to be able to taste the difference between the BMCs, but if you give them a wheat, a pale ale, and a stout side by side they probably would say they all taste the same.

I can tell the difference between B, M, & C, most of the time

Yeah, for a group of people who have trained our palettes to recognize lots of distinct flavors, that doesn't strike me as odd at all, especially for those of us that spent their fair share of time drinking fizzy yellow beer before moving on. I've never tried to differentiate between Coors and Bud, but I can definitely tell Miller apart from the others.

Now, if you sat down a row of samples of BMC and all the big budget brands (Beast, Natty, etc.) and tried to identify each, that would be an interesting experiment. Or maybe not... :drunk:

Sure there are differences, I just think it's funny anything darker than BMC tastes the same.
For reference, my grandfather considered Yuengling a "dark beer" and would never touch the stuff because it "tasted dark"

I like Latitude 48. I combined the flavors of that one with The piny/resiny thing in pliny for my Cougar Mountain IPA.:rockin:

Woah, we just channeled the I am an Idiot thread here.

I find that the pelletized glands give a little vegetal flavor and maybe a touch of metallic flavors as well. I prefer the plugs instead.

I am also an avid fur trapper, and this thread is starting to make me wonder if I haven't somehow clicked on something that would take me to one of the trapping forums.

Beaver anal glands, or castors, are actually very useful, but I've never added any to my beers. ;)

According to Foodbabe, all brewers add huge amounts of castoreum, MSG, and ethylene glycol to beers.

I am also an avid fur trapper, and this thread is starting to make me wonder if I haven't somehow clicked on something that would take me to one of the trapping forums.

Beaver anal glands, or castors, are actually very useful, but I've never added any to my beers. ;)

Ask and ye shall receive. Castor Ale here: http://www.castorales.co.uk

There's your well actually! HAPPY?!!?!

So it was two nights ago, and not so much funny, just my continuing efforts at not being a beer ******: an acquaintance goes on and on about how they won't drink a Bud Lite even if it's the only thing there is to drink. Their choice? Widmer Hefeweizen with a lemon wedge stuck in the neck, or Blue Moon with an orange wedge stuck in the neck. Smile and nod, just smile and nod.

My hillbilly uncle found out that I was brewing and gave me a call to give me some advice...

"You know...brewing is pretty easy, but when you start making the ice beers is when it gets tough, Its very important to boil the yeast after you add it and then put it in the fridge and turn it down as cold as possible. It's harder but your friends will all want the ice beer because it ***** you up."

I was surprised that a guy who used to make meth wasn't capable of wrapping his head around the brewing process.

I don't often feel like a stereotypical West Virginian, but after re-reading this post.....

LMFAO.. I almost pissed myself... (from page 2)

Was standing in the local distributor purchasing a variety pack of Great Lakes and a case if crispin pear for the mrs. When the cashier rings up 70some odd dollars I overhear the guys behind me going "damn I like my beer but not that much". Guy2 yeah I could get over 3 30packs of beer for that much. I glance over my shoulder to the gentlemen holding a 30 of miller. Just kinda shook my head and smiled as I walked out.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Was standing in the local distributor purchasing a variety pack of Great Lakes and a case if crispin pear for the mrs. When the cashier rings up 70some odd dollars I overhear the guys behind me going "damn I like my beer but not that much". Guy2 yeah I could get over 3 30packs of beer for that much. I glance over my shoulder to the gentlemen holding a 30 of miller. Just kinda shook my head and smiled as I walked out.

Sent from somewhere to someone

The obvious answer would be, "but I don't like YOUR beer, so I pay more!"

Me: (Showing off a pic on my phone of a Pale ale I made) So what kind of beer do you like John?

John: Oh, I like dark beers like that one.

Me: OK, got it....

Yeah, for a group of people who have trained our palettes to recognize lots of distinct flavors, that doesn't strike me as odd at all, especially for those of us that spent their fair share of time drinking fizzy yellow beer before moving on. I've never tried to differentiate between Coors and Bud, but I can definitely tell Miller apart from the others.

What I find hilarious about all the big macho guys who only drink "American" beer is the fact that they have such a delicate palate that anything that has more flavor than BMC overloads their senses to the point they all taste the same. How does someone like that ever eat anything besides oatmeal?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What I find hilarious about all the big macho guys who only drink "American" beer is the fact that they have such a delicate palate that anything that has more flavor than BMC overloads their senses to the point they all taste the same. How does someone like that ever eat anything besides oatmeal?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's not about what they are actually tasting. It's about what they think beer should taste like. They've been trained by BMC to believe that anything other than yellow fizzy alcohol delivery system is "wrong."

It's not about what they are actually tasting. It's about what they think beer should taste like. They've been trained by BMC to believe that anything other than yellow fizzy alcohol delivery system is "wrong."

I had a guy at work ask me a few months ago if I made real beer. I asked what he meant. he said, "Real beer. Like Bud or Bud Light." I told him I wouldn't waste my time or resources on something I wouldn't drink. it's not the first (nor the last) time I'd heard the "real beer" or "man's beer" in reference to BMC or their light products. I like to offer those folks something high gravity and shame their masculinity by calling them a pu***.

Back