Did I cause attenuation issues with my St. Paul Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitsuj80

Reaction score
I brewed a St. Paul Porter from NB and it began fermenting on Wednesday evening at 67 degrees. Thursday morning it was actively fermenting at 69-70 degrees with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I had a heater plate with a Johnson Temp controller set at 68 but the heat from fermentation rose the temp a few degrees over what I wanted it to be. At that time I took off the metallic bubble wrap that I had for insulation on the carboy and it dropped to 68-69 since it was in my 60 degree basement. I had to leave town for four days and figured that the heater would be able to keep it at 68. When I got home today I checked on it and it was only 66 degrees. Do you guys think that I might of caused issued with attenuation? I am also wondering how you guys keep a more constant fermentation temp. I have two Johnson Controllers, a 7 cubic foot chest freezer, a reptile heater, and plate heater for a set up. I will be checking the SG tomorrow and hopefully I didn't stall the fermenation. Thanks a lot.

By the way the Wyeast site says that this yeasts temp range is 62-72 degrees.

Back