Hop Additions for Non-Hoppy Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
What is your strategy when choosing hop addition times for maltier, non-hoppy beers like Brown Ales, Porters, Stouts, etc..

As compared to some IPA recipes that have their hop additions all over the place (especially late additions), do you guys stick with 1 bittering addition and 1 late/aroma addition?

I was messing around in BeerSmith for a recipe for a Brown Ale. Originally I had hop additions at 60 & 30 for bittering, and 15 & 1 for flavor/aroma. But after looking it over I decided to just go with one addition at 60 and one at 10 changing the amounts to achieve a similar IBU.

In a beer where the hops aren't the star, is doing less really doing more? Are there any advantages to getting creative with hops when they are just there to ascent the malts?

For my Brown Ale I'm using Northern Brewer for bittering and Williamette for aroma/flavor

Some beers, like my oatmeal stout, are great with just a bittering addition. The bittering charge balances the sweetness of the malt, but doesn't leave hoppy flavor or aroma.

Some beers, like IPAs, have moderate to high bittering, but lots of flavor and aroma hops too because that is what the style demands.

Other beers are in the middle- some German lagers have just bittering and flavor hops.

Of course, anybody can make a beer the way that want- that's the great part of brewing. But a hoppy oatmeal stout would be very weird to me, while a non-hoppy APA wouldn't be to my liking either. While I"m not always adhering to the BJCP guidelines, I really like knowing what to expect when I order a beer. I'd be very disappointed in a brewpub to order a hefeweizen, and found out when drinking it that it was loaded with American flavor and aroma hops!

Back