Rinsing out the LME jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I've been running a little hot water in my LME jug and shaking it up real good to get all the LME out of there as it goes into the boil pot (a couple of times). It comes out foamy. Will this matter?
Thanks

I can't see why it would. It is all going to boil anyway.
I always put my cans in a wide shallow pan on a second burner for about a half hour before pouring them(about 170 deg, open the lids). It thins the consistency of the extract and you leave a lot less behind in the can. And I still rinse them. I'm cheap.
With a plastic jug, I boil a cup in the microwave, shake it up and add it the same way you are doing. You could also heat that on a MUCH lower setting for a longer time and get similar results in viscosity.

I get my LME in bulk in plastic tubs and with a spatula I can get it all out. If you're buying canned LME, I'd recommend using a can opener to take the whole top off so you can get in there rather than just punching a hole in it.

+1 on heating the LME. I throw mine in a sink full of hot water when I start getting ready to brew. It's nice and warm by the time I add it to the boil and is much easier to handle.

+1 on heating the LME. I throw mine in a sink full of hot water when I start getting ready to brew. It's nice and warm by the time I add it to the boil and is much easier to handle.

Not that we need a +1 of a +1, but +1! :D:drunk: Let it sit in hot water and it will come out a lot easier.

My LME comes in 1/2 gallon and pint plastic milk jugs....I dump it in, then dunk the sucker in the 210 degree water, shake and pour, shake and pour.

No worries, foam is not a problem.

I should have been more clear, I too place my containers in hot water to loosen the syrup as well, but even then there is a lot left inside, so I add some hot water inside the container and shake to get the maximum extraction. Sounds like the general consensus is that it's ok. Good, Thanks everyone. I'm getting more and more comfortable with my brewing skills thanks largely to the great folks on this forum.

I should have been more clear, I too place my containers in hot water to loosen the syrup as well, but even then there is a lot left inside, so I add some hot water inside the container and shake to get the maximum extraction. Sounds like the general consensus is that it's ok. Good, Thanks everyone. I'm getting more and more comfortable with my brewing skills thanks largely to the great folks on this forum.

Perfectly OK. Keep on :rockin:

Back