Stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there i am wondering do you have to have a stir plate to make good beer or alcohol? Or can you just use the yeast you get in tubes for beeer or alcohol?

I bought my stir plate in order to get more consistent yeast starters. Since yeast tends to settle out, the stir plate will keep the yeast slurry well mixed, which also helps produce more yeast cells. You do not need a stir plate to be successful, but it is a useful and convenient tool.

No, you only need a stir plate if you want to make starters, and it can come in very handy if you harvest your own yeast.

Circle-C Brewer: I thought the main point of a stir plate was to keep the starter as oxygenated as possible, and that once the yeast starts settling out that it was done with most of the sugars and was essentially taking a rest?

As far as pitching from the tube question (they are called vials): This is not generally considered good practice. I've been forced to a few times. It always leads to a long lag time (the amount of time between the time you pitch {put in the yeast} and the time fermentation begins). During this time microbes that fell into your wort may grow and multiply giving you off flavors or even a visible infection. Even if this is not a problem your beer will still not taste its best because of the stress it is put under. You are also limiting yourself to beers with a moderate original gravity reading, as you must use a starter with a big beer. You can make a simple started with dried extract fermented in an Emery Flask with the hole covered loosely with aluminum foil if you don't mind shaking it rather frequently the night before. The stir plate just makes it very easy and convenient. I will go and find you the link to make a simple starter and post a follow up.

Someone posted a link to Mr. Malty while I was posting, but I am not sure what is there. Here is what I had in mind:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

There are a couple of things missing in the pictorial. First do not use an air lock; use the tin foil like I said. Secondly, The solution should be diluted before pitching (I believe to 700ml). Read through the thread and this will all be explained.

In addition some people, like myself, like to include one or two hop pellets for their antiseptic qualities.

In addition some people, like myself, like to include one or two hop pellets for their antiseptic qualities.

Hops can inhibit yeast growth so I would not put them in my starters. If you need to add anything, add nutrient or yeast food.

Mix a ration of 10:1 (water:DME) ie 1000ml water + 100g DME, boil 10 min., cool, aerate and pitch. You can use any sanitary container for a starter (mason jars work well) and cover with foil, no airlock. you can just shake the container when you can to help it out instead of a stir plate.

I normally cold crash in the frig after it is done (can keep this way for a week), decant most of the liquid, mix up the yeast and pitch.

A stir plate is better and you can make one from extra computer parts for next to nothing, try searching for it.

Latest posts

Back