Thinking i'm going to silver solder, strength?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I can't find a good tig welder but i need to get a brew kettle online here. I have my couplings in hand. holes drilled to 1" seems they need widened to about 1 1/16 for a good tight fit. BUT i was thinking of putting the plumbing skills to use. It makes a nice clean smooth joint at least. But how is the strength? will i be able to screw things in and out of the couplings without ripping it off? Any special concederations for soldering stainless?

I wouldn't rely on solder for a coupling slip fit into a hole. There's just not enough surface area contact. Ideally, for a soldered drain bulkhead, you'd have a coupling inside, close nipple through the hole, then locknut on the outside. You'd apply the silver solder bead inside and out and both on the threads of the locknut and between the nut and kettle wall. That's a lot of surface area and the mechanical connection is already strong.

I know that's not going to help you now that the holes are already 1" though. If you wanted to try it, I'd recommend a silver soldering kit with a good liquid acid flux. Don't apply the heat directly to the flux because it will burn away. Personally at this point, I'd keep looking for a welder. Try railing fabricators, custom car/motorcycle shops, metal fabrication, dairy equipment maintenance.

The closest i found was a guy at a motorcycle shop. His quote was. "we can give it a shot" Made me a bit nervous. this thing needs to be welded inside and out correct? or will a quick run around the outside suffice?

I was going to silver solder my coupler for the keggle but decided to go the tig route. I found a auto shop that did it for $25. I actually bought the weldless sightglass/thermomter from Bobby but now wishing I would have done that with a weld too, they could have done both for $25 I am sure.

At any rate, I just got it back last night and haven't even water tested it as I want to hit it with bar keepers friend first before I start plugging holes.

I just posted this on another similar post.

Check with your Local Homebrew shop, and /or club. Chances are they have a guy who is a homebrewer and can TIG weld. I found a guy wit my local club and he did all my welds for 10.00 each for me.

If he can get both arms, a torch, and a filler rod inside the keg to weld...my hat's off to him.

Better yet...I'd like to see video of that.

I've got a tig welder...but I can't imagine how I'd weld a fitting to the inside of the keggle bottom. I'd have to be happy welding the fitting from the outside only.

Eventually, I'll get an extra flow meter for back gassing...and start welding kegs for local brewers. Too bad you guys live so far away.

I soldered my Keggle and a SS pot. The joints seem pretty solid but they are not as strong a weld. I've taken the my keggle apart multiple times and have never had any problems. I used Staybrite and a MAP torch. It was super easy if you have any torch experence. I would have like to weld but the cheapest price I could find in my area was 50 bucks a weld. For that price I could take a welding class at the local College. Oh yeah, I start this month. Going to weld a brew stand and 3 gal connies during class.

Back