When can I split the root?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4, 2nd year hops growing now. They are all healthy and have 2 bines each, about 20 foot high. Yay me.

What I want to do is plant some hops for privacy on the other end of my deck. So it looks like I have options:

1. take some cuttings from my 2nd years or
2. Order new rhizomes.
3. take a cuttings next year from a 3rd year plant.

What is the best option for getting some foliage next spring?
I know option #2 will take a year to establish themselves, but I get the same result if I wait a year, and then split the root?

Thanks

Third year plants should be robust enough to harvest rhizomes from, plus you get the satisfaction of propagating from your own rootstock.

Typically in gardening, splitting of plants takes place when they are dormant.

Third year plants should be robust enough to harvest rhizomes from, plus you get the satisfaction of propagating from your own rootstock.
Yep. I moved to a new house two years ago and took some cuttings before I moved. Took them in November, wrapped in a damp paper towel and stored them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Planted them the following spring.

As others said, when dormant is definitely the best time to do such things to most plants & hops are likely to be the same. But, I read elsewhere here that people have started growing new plants by using vine cuttings & dipping them in growth hormone before planting/rooting in water. That counld be done now. In fact would likely be the best time when the plant is actively growing before it starts production of hops.

Back