Bulk grain etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could not agree more with this point.

It's entirely to your benefit as a brewer to have total control over the crush.

One of the biggest all-grain variables one cam eliminate.

Mill your own.

If my LHBS didn't let me get my own grain and crush my own grain, I might consider getting a mill. As it is, I can set the mill to the crush I want and let their equipment do the work.

Buy yourself a mill, then you will have the crush exactly how you like it, and there is something very satisfying about milling your own grain at home

I haven't had the "free-spending" cash to spot for a mill, 150 euros for a cereal killer style one is still quite a bit of cash for me at this time.

I've just bought bags milled in one go and vacupack them in kilo bags.
Easy to use on brewday and i've never had a bulk bag last longer than 3 months anyway...

My $99 cereal killer paid for itself in just a few months. Buying 2row at $30/55lbs versus the $1.30/lb or so the store charges is pretty damn significant.

The Corona seems like a great cheap solution as well, and at that price you'd probably recoup your investment after one or two batches...

Where do you get it for 30 bucks a bag? I am paying more like 50

my LHBS is cool with it, but I usually buy equipment yeast and everything else from them

If I were a shop owner I would probably allow it hoping for visits and from visits more sales.

But I think it is pretty rude to buy the bulk grains at a pretty big discount then return to use the shop's equipment. Not only are you getting the grain at a discount, thus less profits for the store, you are adding to the electricity bill, granted a very small amount, and wear and tear on the equipment.

Not to mention the problems that might be encountered by improperly stored grains.

Get a Corona mill, make a base that sits on top of a bucket. Store the thing inside the bucket and keep a lid on it. If the landlord finds that I would have a big problem with said landlord and my privacy!!!!

Homebrewing.org has the Cereal Killer on sale right now for $90 shipped. Just sayin'. ;)

As an owner of a cereal killer, I say buy one. Buy one now. I second jrcrilly.

The bearings on this mill are so smooth, excellent construction. Works great

I'd just ask them right up front.

"Hey I'm thinking about picking up a sack of grain from you guys, but don't have a mill. Would you be cool with me bringing it back here to mill or should I stick with buying what I need?"

I know I've bought unmilled grain from my LHBS because I wasn't sure when I'd get around to brewing (I've got a kitchenaid mill so I can do it on my own, it just takes forever) and the guy said without asking if I needed it milled to just bring it back.
Just curious, how does the kitchenaid mill work for you? Besides taking forever, if it worth the investment? My wife has a kitchenaid. Thanks

Just curious, how does the kitchenaid mill work for you? Besides taking forever, if it worth the investment? My wife has a kitchenaid. Thanks

My wife got it for me for Christmas a few years back so I wasn't the one to actually pull the trigger on it. The price for it seems to be right around what a legit grain mill would be though.

Just about the only reason to get one that I can think of would be if you can score one for cheap, or if you're really strapped for space. It does fine work, but an actual grain mill would be quicker and probably do a better job.

It does a good job at making 2 row flour though :ban:

Back