applejack refermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
I happened to have some hard cider that I made last year- it wasn't all that great- too tart, and a bit bland, so decided to freeze concentrate a gallon. It worked like a charm, but was still tart so I sweetened with some honey- and now- it is great stuff! I am a little concerned about fermentation restarting in the bottle. I figured the yeast was dormant- over a year old and I have the bottles in the fridge and targeted for quick consumption, but should I be concerned?

Since it is concentrated, even if any yeast made it through the freezing process (which I doubt), the alcohol content should be way to high to allow any further fermentation. I'd say you should be fine.

I think most champagne yeasts can only handle up to about 18% ABV, some maybe a bit more, and about 20% for turbo yeast. Since you have concentrated alcohol there, you should be well above the 20% maximum that mere mortal yeast can handle. (If you have some sort of demi-god yeast, you might be in trouble)

I just want to reiteratre what great stuff this is! Highly recommend back sweetening some applejack with honey. Mmmmmm!

I just want to reiteratre what great stuff this is! Highly recommend back sweetening some applejack with honey. Mmmmmm!

Have you noticed any stratification from the honey and the apple jack? I'm kind of curious to try this.

Nope, not yet anyway. I mixed aproximately equal portions of hot water and honey before I added it, so it combined nicely. Then add to taste until you like it.

Yea, as long as the alcohol level is around 20% or higher, you should be fine. I might have to try this when mine finishes...

Back