A marzen as an ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonster

Reaction score
So I have the grain for a marzen. but, I do not have the means for the cooler temps of a lager. is there an ale yeast I could use that could keep it close to the profile of a marzen. maybe a german ale yeast. or a neutral flavored yeast. Or does this ale exist....if so what is it, and i am a tool for not researching this better. Thanks for the help!!!:mug:
cheers

mike

It won't be as crisp as a real lager, but you could use a Kolsch yeast and it will get you close to what you're looking for. Can you ferment at low - mid 60s? Google up swamp cooler if not.

Look for the "OctoberFAST Ale" recipe on this board. (I believe it is in the Amber Hybrid recipe database.) Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

I did a Marzen with WLP810 (San Fran Lager), and the hydro sample yesterday smelled very clean and malty. It's way too green to comment on the flavor (getting yeast bite at this point), but I'm very happy with the results.

I fermented for 2 weeks at 62, then raised it to room temp (75F) to clean up (and because I needed the space in the fridge for something else!).

I did mine with kolsch yeast. If you make a huge starter, you will minimize ester/phenol production. I pitched on a yeast cake and mine came out very clean.

Thank you all you have given me some great starting points. So...if this were an ale what style would this be under...irish red maybe? what say you?

Look for the "OctoberFAST Ale" recipe on this board. (I believe it is in the Amber Hybrid recipe database.) Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Yup...this is my next brew. I'm actually using the german ale yeast for this one.

I brewed up that Biermuncher's Oktoberfast Ale last Saturday. 2.5gallon AG (Stovetop style with bag). Smelled great when I put it in the fermenter. Bubbled away nicely for the last few days. Will rack it to secondary this wknd and let you know how it tastes. It's too easy not to try :)

Back