2.5 month old saved yeast - any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
So, I've got this saved 3rd generation White Labs California Ale Yeast in my fridge. This is just saved trub that I put into sterilized mason jars. I was planning on using it this weekend. I'm worried that its been in there too long, I guess the only way to find out is to make a starter and check it out.

Anybody have any insight?

You should be fine and have enough time to get new yeast in case it is dead. Make a starter and pitch it with a little of the saved yeasy to grow lots of new yeast from it. If it smells foul or doesn't get starterd, throw it out and get a fresh yeast culture

Kai

Like Kaiser said. I've used saved slurry older than 2.5 months; or at least around the same age...

I just did the same thing but didn't make a starter, thought I had screwed up when it didn't start fermenting the first few hours. The next day it was going strong.

I just used some stored yeast (washed) that had been in the fridge for about 3 months. Starter started just fine, so I'd say it's likely that yours is fine, too.

just thought I'd update on this. It worked just fine, although the starter took a while to get going. I actually made a really big starter (1/2 gallon) and used it on two batches. So that one vial of white labs yeast made five 5 gallon batches. Not too shabby if you ask me!

I just used some yeast I had stored that was about 6 months old and it was OK. Like everyone said, just make a starter, if it goes and smells and tastes good, its good! I used it for an irish red and then pitched a barleywine on that yeast cake.

Back