First cider, 24 hrs out and no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tange1

Reaction score
Hello - I'm doing my first hard cider. I followed a recipe given by a friend who's done this before.

I used 5 gallons of local cider w/ no preservative and not pasteurized with a campden tablet or 2 in it to start for 48 hrs.

I warmed about a half gallon and added the following:
5 cups of sugar, 2 sps grape tanin, 1.5 tsps acid blend, 1.5 tsps yeast nutrient, 1.5 tsps pectic enzyme.

I then reconstituted 2 packs of champagne yeast by warming some spring water on the stove (I even check the temp, it was around 95). I put it all in a clean fermentor. Checked the SG and found it was at 81 or 82 (rather sweet). I then added the yeast. That was over 24 hrs ago and I really haven't seen any bubbles from the airlock yet.

Did I do something wrong?

Welcome.

RDWHAHB (google it if you don't know)

You are fine... Give it 72 hours to start...don't even think of worrying until them.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try to relax. I'm reading all the other cider threads and I see the consistent thing that everyone says is 'relax', 'wait' and 'just forget about it for a few weeks'. It's a challenge! I just wanted to confirm that in principle I did everything right. Thanks!

well you did mess up on the campden. Its 1 tablet crushed per gallon. 1 or 2 is was not enough but don't add any now. Lack of it wont stop your yeast. But next time try 1 per gallon.

well you did mess up on the campden. Its 1 tablet crushed per gallon. 1 or 2 is was not enough but don't add any now. Lack of it wont stop your yeast. But next time try 1 per gallon.

I had 2 crushed up in each gallon. FYI I'm about 80 hrs into the brew and no bubbles. I'm highly considering getting new yeast and trying again. I figure I either got lied to and sold cider w/ preservative or the yeast was no good.

I had 2 crushed up in each gallon. FYI I'm about 80 hrs into the brew and no bubbles. I'm highly considering getting new yeast and trying again. I figure I either got lied to and sold cider w/ preservative or the yeast was no good.

Try giving it a good swirl or 2, or a good stirring with a sanitized spoon. 2 camden tabs/gallon is double the usual amount, you may need to reintroduce oxygen to the must in order to get your yeast going. What's the ambient temp? If it's too low, that could also slow things down. Good luck, GF.

Now that it has been around 3 days, is fermentation kicking off?
If not, you need to repitch yeast, perhaps with 2 tablets/gal it messed with the yeast you pitched. But with two packets it should have kicked off by now.
If you repitch, attempt to airate it up as much as possible.
(Shake it to mix oxygen into the must).

Now that it has been around 3 days, is fermentation kicking off?
If not, you need to repitch yeast, perhaps with 2 tablets/gal it messed with the yeast you pitched. But with two packets it should have kicked off by now.
If you repitch, attempt to airate it up as much as possible.
(Shake it to mix oxygen into the must).

I re-pitched about a week ago with a different brand of yeast and within days the fermentation started. Today - about a solid week of bubbling I sanitized the hydrometer with soap and hot water (I don't have true sanitizer). The SG at start was in the low 80's today its in the low 20's. I had a nice fizz on the inside, a very little bit of particulate - smelled good. I re-closed up the fermentor about an hour ago - no bubbling yet but I figure I knocked a lot of the gas down and have to wait for it to build up again.

So - I think I'm on track. What would I expect the SG to be when its done? It was bubbling several times a minute (every 10 or so seconds almost). My plan is to bottle in Yuengling bottles - I'm borrowing equipment to sanitize and cap the bottles.

I would like to get carbonation and I'm working w/ my friend to determine what we need to do to do that (I know the basic principles). I know based on the SG its going to be VERY dry. Is there a way I can sweeten it a bit - the starting SG was higher than I thought. I had added sugar in the start - probably too much.

thanks!

Keep in mind one key thing, adding sugar prior to fermentation will generally make a cider drier, not sweeter. Unless you are exceeding the yeast's alcohol tolerance. For carbonation, you need to add 1 oz of sugar per gallon to your bottling bucket, then just rack your cider into that bucket. The racking will be enough to mix the cider and sugar. You cider could finish anywhere between .990 and 1.000 most likely. It will be dry for sure, look into backsweetening if you don't like it dry. Or just learn to love it dry, that's easier haha.

Oh and soap and hot water is NOT sanitizing. You definitely need to get your hands on some sanitizer, even just using bleach is a much better option than just soap.

I'm probably worrying too much again but its been 12 hours and the bubbling hasn't re-started since I checked the gravity - I wonder why?

I'm probably worrying too much again but its been 12 hours and the bubbling hasn't re-started since I checked the gravity - I wonder why?

Depending on the type of soap, there can be a film left on things washed with it even after rinsing. I'm not saying that is the problem, just that some soaps can do that. You might try giving the carbouy a good swirl or two & see if that helps to get things going again. Regards, GF.

Depending on the type of soap, there can be a film left on things washed with it even after rinsing. I'm not saying that is the problem, just that some soaps can do that. You might try giving the carbouy a good swirl or two & see if that helps to get things going again. Regards, GF.

It was very fizzy inside again - maybe I didn't have the lid on quite right? I could still smell it with the lid on so maybe the gas was escaping another way. Anyway I've given it a good stir.

Has anybody used Coopers Ale Yeast for Apfelwein?? I pitched almost 72hrs ago and still no activity?? I know I bought probably the cheapest ale yeast but im thinking of getting some Notingham tomorrow and re-pitch? anythoughts
This is what I Used

5-gal Meijer Brand Apple Cider
2lbs Corn sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Coopers Ale Yeast

Put all in fermenter mixed Vigoursly
Pitched Yeast

S.G. 1.065
Ferment Temp 65deg
Im thinking its the poor choice of yeast

Cider is now at 1.00 or .95 ish. I'm going to rack it in a day or 2.

Just wanted to thank everyone and let them know I've finished racking and bottled last night. Had trouble getting clean bottles. I used amonia and water to remove the labels but ended up with a film on the bottles. I washed the bottles in a dishwasher, still had the film. I used a bottle brush and idopher to santize and bottled.

I pulled a small amount off which i have in my fridge unbottled. It tastes great! I'm not good with my descriptors but its dry, very wine like in taste and smell. It's allmost urine colored (gross, sorry). Just slightly cloudy - even after a good long racking it had just a little cloudyness. I bottled w/ a little sugar to get carbonation.

thanks all!

Back