Cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
Anyone ever make a cinnamon beer? It occurred to me this morning while driving to work that it might make an interesting taste. I am sure I can find a recipe just by googling, but I am wondering if anyone actually tried it.

Edit - I should mention - I looked over the related threads and most people seem disappointed with the outcomes of cinnamon attempts - I am woindering if anyone had any success stories.

Hey,

For the fun of it, I tossed in 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon to a Pale Ale, 10 minutes prior to end of boil.
I was a little worried I had overdone it as the basement REEKED of cinnamon and my wee sample I took when racking to my secondary was almost teeth-clinching.
HOWEVER, I'm now in the bottle and there is little to no cinnamon flavoring at all.

Take that for what it's worth.

Cheers,
J

jaymack said:
Hey,

For the fun of it, I tossed in 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon to a Pale Ale, 10 minutes prior to end of boil.
I was a little worried I had overdone it as the basement REEKED of cinnamon and my wee sample I took when racking to my secondary was almost teeth-clinching.
HOWEVER, I'm now in the bottle and there is little to no cinnamon flavoring at all.

Take that for what it's worth.

Cheers,
J
I would think it needs to be added in the secondary in order to get the most out of the flavor and aroma.

Only in winter brews where I throw a couple of cin. sticks, some cloves, nutmeg and ginger root in a muslin bag and boil it in the wort for about 10 minutes.

I have contemplated adding a similar "tea bag" to the secondary, but I haven't tried it as yet.

I've never had much luck with it. Smells great at first, nothing after a few weeks.

Back