Question on Soda Water, and: Looking for 3-gallon Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've got my big stand-up fridge outfit so I can keep four 5-gal cornies up top, a and a carboy or two below. Right now, I just have 2 picnic taps, and my co2 line is split on a T connector. I just ordered the stuff from Midwest today to do it right...with a 3-way manifold, a couple more picnic tap setups, etc. But now that'll have a total of 6 taps available (including the other "classy" kegerator), I was scheming on letting my wife hijack one of the gas ins and picnic tap lines for fizzy water, without having to sacrifice one of my 5-gallon kegs to, GASP, water.

So my question is twofold: first, if I just fill a keg with filtered water and force-carb it like I do with beer, it should be club soda, right?

And second: I can't fit another 5 gallon corny underneath, so I'm thinking a 3-gallon version would work well. Does anyone know of a good place to find them without spending an assload of money? Midwest has 2.5gal, but they're like $115. Eff that. Ideas?

Yes, you can carbonate plain water. i think store bought club soda has a preservative in it, otherwise its the same thing.

Unless you find a used 3 gallon keg...you'll have to pay an assload for a new one.

3 gallon cornies are for brewers...the 5 gallons are cheap because teh soda makers used them for 30 years and aside from scrap metal, they are almost useless to the average person.

So my question is twofold: first, if I just fill a keg with filtered water and force-carb it like I do with beer, it should be club soda, right?

And second: I can't fit another 5 gallon corny underneath, so I'm thinking a 3-gallon version would work well. Does anyone know of a good place to find them without spending an assload of money? Midwest has 2.5gal, but they're like $115. Eff that. Ideas?

Actually that would be seltzer water. Club soda, by strict definition, has salt in it, albeit not much. Honestly, its difficult to tell the difference. Heck, if you use filtered spring water there might be enough salt in it to qualify it as Club soda. Tonic water usually has salt too, as well as quinine.

I have seen 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs on Ebay, I would check there.

Gedvondur

Depending on how much seltzer water you're going to go through, you might consider a 1-liter seltzer charger. I have one that I have used to make mojitos, etc. About $50 to start up and the consumables (little CO2 cartridges) will be more expensive than using your kegerator CO2 bottle . . . but space in the keezer has its own value.

I've been thinking about using mine for chilling/carbonating test batches of ginger ale/soda.

Back