how much cascade hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
How much cascade hop pellets (how many oz) ? would it take to effectively bitter 6.6 #'s of wheat extract? (5gallon batch)
( I know bitterness is relative).... so say.... medium bitter.
I'm going to try something different...

I'm trying to make a wheat beer with strong orange flavor. no coriander.

I'm trying to make a wheat beer with strong orange flavor. no coriander.
I'm using normal muntons yeist.
I was wondering if I just boil 1 oz of the hops and orange zest and do NOT boil the 6#'s of lme I could get away with it.
Keeping my process as simple as possible is best as I'm always strapped for time.

I would drop the cascade hops and go with maybe 3/4 oz of Hallertau at 45 minutes.

Someone here will chime in one helping with the orange flavor. I don't add fruit to my beers.

What is medium bitter? For a wit beer I am assuming you are going for with out coriander? usually wit beer is 10 to 20 IBU's so medium would be 15 IBU's

What is the AA of your cascade? most are 5.5 to 6 AA....but I have seen higher and lower..

At 6% for 60 minute boil depending on the gravity of the wort..you are looking at the higher end around 20 IBU....75OZ will put you around the range you are looking for at around 15 IBU..

With out the coriander I'm not sure what you will have; You will have a beer that is for sure

Jay

I'm using normal muntons yeist.
I was wondering if I just boil 1 oz of the hops and orange zest and do NOT boil the 6#'s of lme I could get away with it.
Keeping my process as simple as possible is best as I'm always strapped for time.

I am a bit confused on this..do you intend to add the LME at a late addition? Than the hops will have very little utilization.

As for the orange peel I suggest using fresh orange zest and 1 oz is always a good amount..coriander does add a nice spice to these beers but if you want a sweet only than you will have it..I suggest only 10 to 15 tops on the peel..or flame out is fine as well.

Jay

I would drop the cascade hops and go with maybe 3/4 oz of Hallertau at 45 minutes.

Someone here will chime in one helping with the orange flavor. I don't add fruit to my beers.

I agree to this as well.. Cascade is too good for flavor and aroma and I usually use a german hop or something readily available for the bittering addition..I have seen some use citrusy hops as late additions to add to the spice and zest of a wit beer..but that is why we brew..to make what we like,.

J

I guess I've never done a full boil type beer. I can';t recall the last time I had an hour of time to spare hehehe.
I generally do pre-hopped extracts

like this
boil some water
add lme
stir
add in lme
dump in carboy.

so to bitter with hops I need to boil it WITH the un-hopped lme?
Here's a question. if I just boil 2 gallons of water with hops and orange peel for like 45 minutes, turn it off and add the lme it wont propagate the hop flavor to the lme base?

hmmmm,

Hop utilization is based on four things:
AA%
Batch size
Wort gravity
Boil time
Without giving us all this information it is not possible to answer your question.

. . .What is the AA of your cascade? most are 5.5 to 6 AA....but I have seen higher and lower

I just used some Cascade rated at 7.8%. So knowing this is impotant in determining your additions.

BeerSmith calculation:
If you boil 2 gallons for 45 minutes and are doing a 5 gallon batch, 1/2 oz of Cascades (5.5% Alpha) will give you about 15 IBU's if you add your LME at the end of the boil.

Edit:
But I agree with EdWort. Go with a hop that is appropriate to the style like Hallertau or Tettnang.

Hop utilization is based on four things:
AA%
Batch size
Wort gravity
Boil time
Without giving us all this information it is not possible to answer your question.

I just used some Cascade rated at 7.8%. So knowing this is impotant in determining your additions.

If you boil 2 gallons for 45 minutes and are doing a 5 gallon batch, 1/2 oz of Cascades (5.5% Alpha) will give you about 15 IBU's if you add your LME at the end of the boil.

Here's my process..

1 boil 2 gallons of water with 3/4 oz (alpha 5.9 according to package) of cascade hops and 1 oz of orange zest for 45 mins.
2 add 6.6 lbs of lme wheat extract and remaining 1/4 oz hops and boil for 5 minutes
3 add to 3 gallons of water already waiting in my ale pail.
4 I may secondary to 6.5 gallon glass. if i can't bottle within 2 weeks.

will I have sufficient bittering?
thanks
timg

Here's my process..
1 boil 2 gallons of water with 3/4 oz (alpha 5.9 according to package) of cascade hops and 1 oz of orange zest for 45 mins.
2 add 6.6 lbs of lme wheat extract and remaining 1/4 oz hops and boil for 5 minutes
3 add to 3 gallons of water already waiting in my ale pail.
4 I may secondary to 6.5 gallon glass. if i can't bottle within 2 weeks.
will I have sufficient bittering?
thanks
timg
Well, now I'm confused.

If I put it in BeerSmith as above with a 5 minute late addition it says 7.6 IBU
If I change it to adding the LME after the boil it says 21.9 IBU

There's no way that 5 minutes can make that much difference.

Edit:
That's better. I was set for AG and had to change it to Extract.
What you are proposing will give you about 20.4 IBU

Thanks for you time..

I'll keep you guys posted.
timg

Back