Help need suggestions - recipe with WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OKie so stupid me, I made my starter for this weekends Batch and realized I used the wrong yeast..

So figured I take suggestions for what to brew this weekend using WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

What do you have for ingredients?
Crystal 20,60,120; Munich, Cara-Munich, Honey malt, Cara-pils, Chocolate, Amber, Special B, vienna, Black patent, peat, roasted barley, dextrine, flaked corn,oats,rice, honey, vanilla, anise, lemon peel, orange peel, Grains of Paradise, tamarind, corriander, cinnimon
And base malts British Pale, Wheat, pilsner

Hops 7lbs in 22 varieties

budbo said:
Crystal 20,60,120; Munich, Cara-Munich, Honey malt, Cara-pils, Chocolate, Amber, Special B, vienna, Black patent, peat, roasted barley, dextrine, flaked corn,oats,rice, honey, vanilla, anise, lemon peel, orange peel, Grains of Paradise, tamarind, corriander, cinnimon
And base malts British Pale, Wheat, pilsner

Hops 7lbs in 22 varieties

I guess you should be able to throw something together then!!!!

I would go with a porter!!!

Porter or Red, definately.

Some Crystal 60, Honey Malt, Roasted, and British Pale would make a great Irish red.

Then you can take the 120, choc, patent, roasted, and pale and make up a porter to pitch right on top after you rack the red over to secondary.

Now you have 2 beers on one yeast!

Thanks for the idea of a Scottish ale Chriso

Here is what I came up with:

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.85
Anticipated SRM: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 32.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.6 0.50 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear) Generic 1.046 1
85.7 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
0.9 0.13 lbs. Peated Malt Great Britain 1.038 5
2.7 0.38 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 7.3 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.20 18.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.20 4.8 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.20 1.6 5 min.

Note: Remove 6 cups of wort prior to boil and carmelize, re-add to boil (This will add carmel sweetness and darken it about 6 points)

What do you think?

I like it! I am still debating whether I want to add 1/8 lb of peated malt like you have. I had 2 oz in my original recipe, and people said it would overpower the pecan and caramely tones I was looking for.

I really am excited for the caramelizing wort before boil idea. I'm sure it's going to give it an additional complexity that should be quite fun!

Great hop choices, too, and all your recipe specs look great. I think this is gonna be a good one.

Is 1/4-3/8 lb aromatic a pretty normal quantity? I haven't used that one before but plan on using it soon.

I increased the aromatic to 6oz and, I took a full quart and carmelized it to a1.5 cup syrup.. This wort smell incredible! Will let you know but I think I scored here
Did I mention I added .5# Cara-munich

Back